• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Windows Media Center?

Started by cdrive, Thursday Dec 18, 2008, 03:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdrive

Anyone else using Windows Media Center for their DVR?

I've got my personal system set up as well as my future inlaws and I just wondered who else on here might be running one.

steve053

I'm assuming you're referring to DirecTv's HR2x series.  I have an HR20-100.

I tried WMC and was dissapointed as it doesnt' transcode and the HR2x dvr's don't transcode divx (or a lot of other codecs as well).

I switched to TVersity and am fairly happy with it.  TVersity transcodes all of the codecs that I need.  Trickplay doesn't work (but trickplay only works with intel viive computers - and they aren't making those anymore), but pause does.  

It's a decent picture viewer, and does a nice job serving up music.

I have not tried hd material.  I 'heard' the HR2x's choke with a bitrate somewhere over 8 MPS - but don't quote me on that.  I just don't have any hd video to give it a try.

For what I use it for it's ok.  If I was thinking about using it to serve up dvd's on a regular basis I'm not sure that it would cut the mustard.

GBK

I have the OTA setup Media Center Setup it  works great none of the silly DVR boxes you get from DirecTV or else come close to matching the interface.  Lack of satellite tuners blows but that's because Directv/dish don't see a point in making one for a product they can't charge monthly fee for.  The cable version works but is crippled by the cable conglomerate as well.

basshive

I have media center but I am not using it right now. I had been holding out for the DirecTV HDPC-20 but since that is on the shelf/backburner for now I am sticking with the standard D* dvrs. Vista's Windows Media Center is just awesome. I am very very sad I am not able to take advantage of it with D. As GBK says, the interface is unmatched.
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

cdrive

Quote from: GBK;49664I have the OTA setup Media Center Setup it  works great none of the silly DVR boxes you get from DirecTV or else come close to matching the interface.  Lack of satellite tuners blows but that's because Directv/dish don't see a point in making one for a product they can't charge monthly fee for.  The cable version works but is crippled by the cable conglomerate as well.

How's TVPack treating?  I've been wanting to try it, but have heard of some bad side effects over at The Green Button.

C

Olias

I tried WMC but eventually switched to using SageTV and a couple of their HD extenders. I can now record any HD signal and serve it up to any TV. If WMC allowed the use of the Hauppauge HD PVR I'd look at switching back. SageTV's interface is not as slick as Windows. Their music interface is pretty clunky also.

GBK

Quote from: cdrive;50141How's TVPack treating?  I've been wanting to try it, but have heard of some bad side effects over at The Green Button.

C

TV Pack is not as stable as Vista Media Center but it does have some additional features that make it more compelling especially for people with QAM tunning requirements.  If you follow the isntallation directions well it will treat you just fine.. seems that a lot of major issues come from "third party" software add ons.

To be honest I really haven't had any issues with my setup outside of some dumb hardware driver issue.