News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC in kenosha, whats clear?

Started by digdugm, Sunday Dec 14, 2008, 11:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

digdugm

I going to get a new TV for my mother-in-law in kenosha, she doesn't want any kind of cable box. What HD channels will she get with the cable straight to the
TV.TIA

kevbeck122

WITI6fan

You'd only get QAM channels, which on TWC systems tend to include local channels and TWC's video feed for the On Demand channels (that promotional stuff that plays in the upper left hand corner is actually a channel with QAM, lol)

And that's assuming the TV has a built in QAM tuner.

Mark Strube

Curious, why is she so against cable boxes? What if you get a TV that's cable card compatible? It would then have the appearance and functionality of a built-in tuner, but with almost all the channels a box would offer. Like it was said above, without a cable box or card, all you'd get in HD is the locals plus a useless channel here and there. It bothers me when someone owns an HDTV and then handicaps its HD content to locals only. But, to each his own, and I suppose it'd be her money to spend!

mhz40

If the TV has an NTSC (analog) and QAM (digital) tuner, she would get all of the existing analog (2 - ?) content and all unencrypted digital channels.  In practice,  expect only the Milwaukee broadcast services in this pool of channels, but don't be surprised if one or two additional programs pop-up.  I'm not sure what the result of the digital transition will be on the Chicago stations (being out of town for so long, I'm not sure if they're even on the system as I write).  If I were TW, I'd be planning to keep the Chicago feeds... people are so used to having them over the years.
Unless the new set is Tru2way compliant, advanced features like an interactive program guide, VoD & switched digital services are not an option without a STB.  Even with a Tru2way compliant TV, these enhancements  may not be immediately available.  VoD may never be available in a Tru2way environment, but at least her hardware would be ready for whatever Tru2way services are rolled out.