• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

What Are The Differences Between U-Verse and Fios? And Which is Better?

Started by Jack 1000, Friday Nov 28, 2008, 10:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack 1000

What are the pros and cons of each service?  What do you get with each?

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

WITI6fan

FiOS IS AVAILABLE???!?!?!?! WHERE?!?!?!?! :eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

Everything I hear about FiOS is good.

LoadStar

Quote from: Jack 1000;49327What are the pros and cons of each service?  What do you get with each?

Jack

U-Verse is Fiber to the Node. Basically, it brings fiber out part of the way, to those big refrigerator-sized boxes in the neighborhood. Past that point, it's just VDSL. Everything you get with U-Verse rides on that VDSL - the television channels are pure IPTV, and shares the bandwidth with your internet service.

FIOS is fiber to the premises. They actually bring out fiber right up to the building, resulting in significantly higher potential bandwidth available. The other key difference is that with FIOS, the television service is transmitted via QAM, same as digital cable. It is multiplexed on the same fiber optic cable at a different frequency from the IP service. This means that not only do you not have the service delivery issues of IPTV, but also the TV service doesn't rob bandwidth.

It is night and day - FIOS is far superior to U-Verse, and always will be.

gparris

Quote from: WITI6fan;49329FiOS IS AVAILABLE???!?!?!?! WHERE?!?!?!?! :eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

Everything I hear about FiOS is good.

...and you can pray for miracles, too, but it won't get you FIOS HDTV anytime, ever, living here.:D

-I have lived in the Verizon service area for about 5 years now and have been told from everyone from a lowly CSR to managers that it will never happen in Wisconsin, even if you are serviced by Verizon for telephone, like I am.

Is FIOS TV service amazing?

Yes, it lives up to expectations from what I observed in Tampa, Florida, having worked there/lived there during workdays/at night for 15 months.

Would I get it vs. U-Verse given the chance....of course!;)