News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Sticky snow on dish

Started by RonH, Sunday Nov 30, 2008, 03:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonH

I got directv for the first time in May, and now the first snowstorm comes, and I have zero signal strength on every transponder on every satellite.  I notice the bottom half of the dish has a small layer of sticky snow covering it.  My neighbor's looks the same from what I can see but I don't know his signal strengths.

Is the problem with reception from the thick storm clouds, or due to the small amount of snow on the dish?  If it's due to the snow on the dish, how long does it typically take for it to "melt" or fall off?  What are some tried and true methods for getting it off, when it is not easily accessible on the snowy roof?  So far the best I've come up with is spraying it with a hose, but am looking for something better.

The snow today is very thick/heavy, as it was still 36F around here when it starting falling.

SRW1000

For me, snow on the dish hasn't been a big problem, except when a drift is covering it.  One thing that will help keep snow off of it is to spray a coat of WD40 or cooking spray (Pam) on the surface of the dish.  That may not be very practical for a roof-mount installation, though.

Scott

mhz40

Moisture in clouds and snow on the dish attenuate the signal.  Satellite systems are designed to handle most signal fade related to moisture in the atmosphere.  Adding the loss of moisture-laden snow on a dish can bring a system to its knees, especially if the dish wasn't aimed well in the first place.

If you dish is peaked, you will likely have few if any problems once winter hits in earnest.  Snow that falls when its a bit colder (low 20's and colder) has less moisture content and much less of an impact on dish performance as it settles there.  It also blows off the dish with just a bit of wind, so build-up becomes a non-issue in most conditions.

I am not a fan of roof mounts for these very reasons.  Your hose idea seems to me to be a creative solution!

Bebop

If it's a chronic problem, you can always get a dish heater.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

basshive

I have had zero issues with today's snowfall but did have a few minutes a week or so ago where I lost out on signal.

http://www.montanasatellitesupply.com/Satellite_Dish_Heaters_s/4.htm

UPDATE - So no sooner do I post this... About 9pm I had to go out and knock some snow off the dish. Got up this morning and no issues.
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

troyriley

If you have no trees or other obstructions, the best place for your dish would be within reach of a snow brush from the ground. I see so many dish mounts on roofs with no visible obstructions around and I can never figure out why. Unlike an antenna, the satellite signal strength is the same from the ground as it is high on a roof. If you do not have trees or other structures in your way on the south side of your house, you may want to consider moving the dish (when conditions improve, of course). If you do have obstructions, the hose idea or a brush on a long, extending pole might be your only solution until the snow melts.

Talos4

The only problem with putting PAM or WD40 or something similar is that over time the substance collects dust and dirt.  And could make LOS problems even worse.

I didn't have have any problems last night with mine.

Last year during all of the storms and heavy snowfall I had to knock snow off my dish just once. It's reachable with a long pole on the top of my garage.

hop

I have found that a brush on the end of a telescopic handle works well.  A few cautions:

1.  Make sure to use a brush that has the correct angle that will be most effective.
2.  Be careful not to be too rough, you may knock the dish out of alignment.
3.  Avoid any cables or the pick up portion of the dish (LNB).

I have found that clear ice seems to affect the signal less than a build up of snow and even in cold days, the sun does a good job of melting it.

RonH

I gave in last night and using a ladder and a broom, I was able to maneuver around the dish and knock off enough of the snow that I got the signal back.  It's been fine since, although technically my signal level is lower than normal.  I assume it will come back once it fully melts.

I can easily hit the LNBs with a squirt gun full of hot water from a step ladder which worked well last night as it was still 35F at night.  I'll have to work on a custom telescoping device that has the right angle on it to brush off the dish.

Unfortunately I have a building and massive spruce trees to the south.  I could put the dish towards the back of the lot on the ground but the neighbor kids would then not have an endzone for playing football.  Actually they would, but the dish would likely be the goal post.

I do think this was a rather isolated set of conditions, as driving to work this morning I passed through three intersections where you could see what color the traffic light was, as they were blocked by sticky snow.

Bebop

Quote from: RonH;49382I do think this was a rather isolated set of conditions, as driving to work this morning I passed through three intersections where you could see what color the traffic light was, as they were blocked by sticky snow.

No. Expect more snow fades. Not only wet sticky snow will knock the signal out. Powder snow works well too, if thick enough. :)

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

WPXE ION

RonH

We'll i made it through snow storms 2 and 3 of the year with no issues or signal loss whatsoever.  But this one today with the rain changing to snow killed me again.  There are icicles hanging off the bottom of the dish  Although now I have the 101 satellite fine, but the HD satellites are hosed.  One theory might be if the 101 satellite is fine, then maybe the dish itself isn't covered in too much ice/snow but some LNBs are.

I wonder how many days until it returns on it's own.  Perhaps I'll enlist the hot water squirt bottle technique again.

Luckily OTA and the DVR make it easy to go a couple days... Although I may be relegated to watching the badger game tonight in SD.

Bebop

Hope for a sunny day tomorrow. :)

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Talos4

I lost all of my signals late Monday night while the storm changed from a mix to snow.

When I got up yesterday morning everything was back. I don't bother with checking signal strengths, I figure if it's on it's on.

My dish this morning was clean. Nothing sticking to it or hanging off of it at all.

I get some pretty significant drifting off my roof and maybe I get just the right winds to keep the dish clear.

Nels Harvey

I lost my Dish signals Monday night during the storm.  All was well here on Tuesday morning as well.  I'd rather have those brief outages from 'E' than enduring all the frustrations I see on here from TW!

Nels....
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.