News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Dual DVR Boxes...

Started by cdnelson, Wednesday Nov 26, 2008, 01:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdnelson

So TWC calls me out of the blue, and is offering me a 2nd HD DVR box for free for the next three months. :rock: I'd like to have it as a 2nd device on my main TV, I've already got an upstream/downstream amplifier in place for the split to my TV's coax feed.

My question (that I'm hoping someone here will know).  Am I going to be able to have the remotes set at different frequencies?  Or am I going to have a problem with our remotes changing the channel on both boxes?

I only have the one HD TV, and we could use the extra capacity, especially when we're going to be on vacation.

Any thoughts?   Maybe just a piece of electrical tape over the 2nd box so we can set it up at "point blank" range when we need it?

They're not coming until next Monday so I've got time to think. :)

duncantuna

No expert, but yeah, you will have a remote problem, as one controls any box in range.

But .. your solution sounds odd.  If you need more capacity, try hooking an external drive up to your DVR.    Instead of paying for an extra DVR each month, switching over boxes depending on what is saved where .. buy an external drive.  750-1TB drives are around $100, plus an enclosure, maybe $150 total, and the convenience of having everything on one box.

True, two dvrs = 4 recordings at once.  But otherwise...

cdnelson

Needing 3 things at a time while were gone is what I meant by capacity, and the box is free for three months (when we're going to need it)...so that's what we're doing.

My "fix" for the remote problem is I'm having it put in the bottom section of our entertainment center that has wooden doors.  I'll open those up when I need the 2nd box, and close them when I don't.

It's got plenty of ventilation through the back so I'm not worried about heat.