• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

DIRECTV Adding 30 New HD Channels Starting in May

Started by kevbeck122, Tuesday Apr 20, 2010, 12:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basshive

Travel Channel is in HD now on channel 277. Have not had time this morning to read up on the channel launches etc but this is good news already!
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

Stanley Kritzik

Quote from: basshive;55591Travel Channel is in HD now on channel 277. Have not had time this morning to read up on the channel launches etc but this is good news already!

According to DBSTALK postings, sat. D10 is being repaired remotely, and D12 is handling that load temporarily.  When D10 gets back in service, D12 should be able to add the next 25 HD channels; sometime in June.

I think there will be three 3D channels included, but I don't know what else is on the list.

Fascinating to think of engineers doing repairs on D10 while it is 22,500 miles away.  The oil guys in the Gulf should be so lucky!

Stan

gb4fan92

Quote from: gparris;55589TWC's SDV system is driving me crazy.:eek:

My recollection is TWC period had been driving you crazy for years!! Yet you still remain loyal by paying your bill every month. And for that they are grateful. Who cares how much you grumble as long you pay them the $$$. All the whining on this site doesn't do a thing to TWC.  Wake up and show them who's boss!!! {storm}

gparris

Quote from: gb4fan92;55606My recollection is TWC period had been driving you crazy for years!! Yet you still remain loyal by paying your bill every month. And for that they are grateful. Who cares how much you grumble as long you pay them the $$$. All the whining on this site doesn't do a thing to TWC.  Wake up and show them who's boss!!! {storm}

Nice you noticed, but honestly, I recently moved to my new location and TWC gave me good deal, but the new location has its issues with SDV at times. :(

Once I get fully settled in and find out how to snake the Directv lines to the 5 TVs in my house from the basement using the new system SWM with its wood ceilings, it will be deal made.
-But first I have to save up for the the second HD DVR and the other HD receiver for the game room HDTV, unless that makes it 2 extra HD receivers with Directv's new whole house DVR system that just came out and I find an installer that knows how to install it. :huh?:

Right now, I am hoping I find a way to recable the  house unless I can use the current cabling with SWM and Directv comes out with BBCAHD, now that I am hooked on it, (Dish has it, but I don't want them, they are missing HD locals, still).

Whining, no, waiting, yes...I had Directv before and it is getting better and better, but first things first, my basement workaround, SWM, DVR system and BBCAHD.:D

kevbeck122

Most of the rest of the announced new channels were added today.  Let's hope they bring on the next announcement soon (hopefully AMC, TCM, BBCA, etc.).  They still have the capacity for another 40-50+ channels.

gparris

Directv reportedly is adding more HD channels per discussions at avsforums, but, it would appear that it is stilll lacking in some of the basic non-premium HD channels that even Dishnetwork and Time Warner Cable have, which is very sad, IMO.:(
Since I did some inquiries to Directv regarding installation, they have been after me for installation, big time, including a noticable blast of commercials for their service lately to everyone, but no deal (for me).
Right now, I can't get a straight answer about SWM, whole house DVR installs or dish placement regarding my present home, from any of their CSRs and even if I did, Directv seems to be adding what it wants, not what I already have with TWC, SDV and all.:rolleyes:

nwerner

Right now, I can't get a straight answer about SWM, whole house DVR installs or dish placement regarding my present home, from any of their CSRs and even if I did, Directv seems to be adding what it wants, not what I already have with TWC, SDV and all.

Just curious what other questions you have.  I can't really speak to dish placement but I recently had my setup on D* switched over for SWiM as I wanted to have the whole home DVR.  I no longer need two cables going into the HD DVR and it is a pretty slick setup.  The installer had to basically take our my old install, change out the LNB, and rewire most everything outside.  

The comparison of channels is pretty straightforward and readily available on the D* and TWC websites.  I wouldn't mind D* adding PBS HD and BBCHD in MKE but I am glad that they have NFL Network

gparris

The fact that the cable company, Time Warner Cable, which always had lagged far behind in full time "cable" non-premium HD channels, including additions for so long, is ahead (finally), over Directv is wonderful, though the delivery method at times, is not-so-good (the SDV).
For example, I was at my brother's house the other day and his wife was watching AMC, but it wasn't in HD, so I asked her why she didn't have it on the HD channel and to my surprise, she knew the difference-Directv didn't offer it, (TWC did). ;)

-My basement ceiling is wood, it does not have drop down ceiling panels, due to the designs of the previous owner, so I will have to hack it up :rolleyes: with all new cabling, if that is what you are saying, nwerner, no matter what I want to do, to get Directv.
Right now, the single DVR for the house Directv is pushing means if I wanted to record 3 HD shows, I would  be the same position subs with U-Verse have (no choice), just 2 HD recordings at a time.
- So getting another HD DVR (or two, for all the HDTVs) would be fine,  but SWM would be a much better choice to manage it all.
In the fall, especially, you get new shows out and sometimes you may want to record 3 HD shows and you can do that with 2 DVRs, but not with a one-DVR household.

As for the 5LNB dish placement, that is quite easy, I will put it on a pole facing south, as there are no trees to block my current location and the pole will  be easy to clean off in winter, having had Directv myself a few years ago, so that is not a problem, honestly.

Directv:
Give the equivalent of what TWC has in full time HD "cable" non-premium channels - so I can mess with all that new cabling I will have to do.
-Then contact me! :D

klwillis45

Can't you record 4 shows at once on DTV if you pop for the OTA tuner? (2 sat, 2 ota)

kevbeck122

No, you can still only record two shows at the same time.  Dish on the other hand lets you record 4 shows on the 722k I believe, if you get the OTA module.