News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

SDV Sucks

Started by Gregg Lengling, Saturday Nov 15, 2008, 09:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg Lengling

First it was my HD box in the bedroom stating that this channel is not currently avail...press A to try again...no luck, now the DVR in the family room is doing the same thing.....HGTV-HD, SCI-HD ect....why I am paying for this crap.....
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

HDefinicktion

Not sure why you are paying for it, but look at it on the bright side...complain two more times and you have gone over the 4,000 mark.

Gregg Lengling

I'm still paying for it because Uverse isn't here yet for me.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI

Gregg Lengling

But on a side note I'm still getting the good discount from my old job on it......but then again when I get Uverse next year I get the discount on that also.....Happy Feet. :OnAir: OH by the way , now it's 4k
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI

mhz40

Hope it doesn't suck too bad.  U-verse is basically switched digital on steroids.:rolleyes:

tencom

Quote from: mhz40;49172Hope it doesn't suck too bad.  U-verse is basically switched digital on steroids.:rolleyes:

And loaded with plenty of Temporal, and  Spatial Compression artifacts too.

Jack 1000

They might be updating the boxes by nodes for new features.  Start Over is coming soon and SDV is still being tested, although available.  Anyone having other issues with their boxes?  Oh, on a related note, what channels are now SDV?

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

gparris

Quote from: Jack 1000;49176They might be updating the boxes by nodes for new features.  Start Over is coming soon and SDV is still being tested, although available.  Anyone having other issues with their boxes?  Oh, on a related note, what channels are now SDV?

Jack

That is what I was thinking, too.
While I have experienced some issues with SDV, maybe Gregg's TWC sector is being upgraded or changed somehow.

Point is, U-Verse has also has its share of growing pains:
So far, the subdivision across the roadway from me has availablity and I have heard of no complaints so far with U-Verse HDTV.
But older neighbours of mine (from when I used to live there), have not got the U-Verse/DSL package because the old DSL they originally had (before fleeing to TWC RoadRunner) left them with extreme dissatisfaction and they are not that forgiving to try ATT service for U-Verse.:(

kevbeck122

Quote from: Jack 1000;49176Oh, on a related note, what channels are now SDV?

Jack

All of the new HD channels, at least one or two older ones like ESPN2HD, and the west coast feeds of premiums.  There may be some in the 100-199 range, but I don't get those channels.

basshive

Quotewhy I am paying for this crap.....

Satellite is not an option or are you just opposed to it?
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

Gregg Lengling

I used to have Satellite, just too many issues with snow and rain and multiple boxes...and OH did I mention I work for AT&T>
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI

PatM

Quote from: Gregg Lengling;49197I used to have Satellite, just too many issues with snow and rain and multiple boxes...and OH did I mention I work for AT&T>

That you are still working is a good thing.
I heard AT&T was laying off.
Don't know if any in this area
My son's brother-in-law worked for AT&T in Illinois for many years but was transferred to Virginia this year.
He works there 5 days and comes home to Illinois on the weekends.
Guess I'm really lucky that I got my 28 years in here with only a 5 years more after  a transfer to Illinois.
Glad to be retired now.

ckkopenski

Well, more channels appear to have been moved to SDV because previously solid channels like Fox Movie, Sundance and so on now get the wonderful little CHANNEL NOT AVAILABLE PLEASE TRY AGAIN message.

I've already had one service call and I guess I really need to give them another chance to come take another look, but this is getting seriously old. You can't set any Series Recordings to any of the SDV channels and have any hope they will be recorded. My recording log is full of recording not done because channel wasn't available.

I have no options. No exposure to the southern sky and no U-verse.

Didn't Ed Grimely say something about being sad as sad can be?

Edited to add this......
What's odd is that I have two boxes and this is only happening (for the most part) on one box. It's the box that was replaced three weeks in the room where the technician said I the connection was too 'hot'. The other box, in my son's room, is fine. He does get the pop-ups that the channel is not available here and there, but then mostly it's there for a second or two, then the channel does appear. Crap, that would be an upgrade for the box in the den.

Anway, I just called 'er in and they're coming back out on Friday. They even had notes on my account from the previous tech visit. Imagine that.

:bang: :bang:

wireblsam

Quote from: ckkopenski;49215Edited to add this......
What's odd is that I have two boxes and this is only happening (for the most part) on one box. It's the box that was replaced three weeks in the room where the technician said I the connection was too 'hot'. The other box, in my son's room, is fine. He does get the pop-ups that the channel is not available here and there, but then mostly it's there for a second or two, then the channel does appear. Crap, that would be an upgrade for the box in the den.

Anway, I just called 'er in and they're coming back out on Friday. They even had notes on my account from the previous tech visit. Imagine that.

:bang: :bang:

I have been having something similar, have had 2 in home visits for them to say "it's not in the house, it should clear in 24 hours" (thanks guys!).  What I have noticed is I receive the message more frequently on the TV's connected via HDMI than on the 1 still connected by component cables.  Take it for what it is worth, but it just might be one more variable to think about.

mhz40

Quote from: wireblsam;49217I have been having something similar, have had 2 in home visits for them to say "it's not in the house, it should clear in 24 hours" (thanks guys!).  What I have noticed is I receive the message more frequently on the TV's connected via HDMI than on the 1 still connected by component cables.  Take it for what it is worth, but it just might be one more variable to think about.

The problem is before your HDMI link.  SDV is a two way system.  If the set top can not communicate with the system, there will be problems.
The tech needs to check forward and return path RF levels, or he/she is wasting your time and the companies money.