News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

OTA digital reception and antenna choices

Started by gp-clipper, Friday Nov 14, 2008, 04:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gp-clipper

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post after finding this site while reading some info on the AVS site.

I'm trying to improve my OTA reception and see if it is possible to receive digital signals from other cities (e.g. Chicago) from Shorewood. I am currently using a homemade coat hanger antenna (via u-tube) and an older indoor GE amplified antenna for my 32" Sony Trinitron with Zenith 901 converter box (DTV-Pal as backup) and Philips HDD/DVD recorder. I am expecting delivery next week of our new Panasonic PZ85u plasma. The new set will be located in my basement family room. Given three devices that will need signal, what does everyone suggest for an antenna setup given my location?

I realize that I'm only a mile or two from most towers. The problem I've encountered with my current antennas is some signal break up. I don't know if I'm too close to the towers or if it is the antennas. I'd also like to get signals from other cities, but I think I'm too far and have too many obstructions.

I've been thinking of a roof or attic antenna, but don't know which one or if I need an amplifier. Any thoughts and recommendations of setups and where to purchase are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary

budda

I am in Oconomowoc, I get ALL Milwaukee channels, as well as some from Madison, if you have a good ant from time to time you will find you get Ch, Detroit, just freaky stuff is explain some what in different posts here, bottom line is, the biggest ant as high as you can go will get you the most,  A 60 mile, ant runs about 85 to 100 dollars , if you have the space it will fit in a attic. From Shorewood a good Bowtie ant running 50.00 will get you 60 miles., If Milwaukee only is all you want, just about anything will work from where you are. I personally don't like indoor ant. do you have cable or satellite? More options there.

techboy

You can get an idea of what distant reception is possible by going to the FCC web site and looking at service contours.

Here's WGN from Chicago

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-service-area?x=TV301087.html

This is primarily determined by the transmitter antenna height and the distance to the horizon.  You can increase this range by increasing the height of the receiving antenna.  But until the analog signals go off the air, it will be difficult to get good distant digital reception even under the best conditions due to multichannel and co channel interference.  ( There are so many stations on the air )  When I lived in Shorewood, I could consistantly get CH 32 analog from Chicago by aiming my antenna at the CH 6 tower.  The tower reflected enough signal down to ground level.  Now I live in Glendale and get poor Ch 44 analog from Chicago by aiming at the Ch 12/58 towers. I know I might get more channels, but the local transmitters over drive the front end RF amplifier of my tuner.  The same thing happens when you try using an antenna amplifier.  

So the answer to your question is:  I think it will be possible to get Chicago and Madison digital from Milwaukee with a big antenna mounted very high ( 50- 60 feet or more ) once the analog signals expire.  The best commercial UHF antenna I ever encounted was a 7 foot Channel Master parabolic ( dish ).  Excellent narrow beam width and high gain.   Bow ties have good gain, but wide beam width and thus cannot be aimed well to limit interference.
Retired Broadcast TV / Radio Engineer WTMJ. ( 35 Yrs )

gp-clipper

Thanks for the replies. Since I have only a 1 1/2 story house, a 50-60 ft tower with antenna may not go over well with my neighbors. It also sounds like getting Chicago may be tough. I read somewhere that digital signals may not carry as far as analog because the stations will be able to control that do to markets (or something like that). I don't know if anyone else has heard that.

Where does everyone get there antennas in Milwaukee? It seems like Radio Shack may be the only place left. I could order online from someone. Any suggestions for best short range setup or will they all do well?

Thanks,
Gary

Jimboy

Antennas

Marmax is one place...... http://www.marmaxdistribution.com
6802 West Rawson Avenue  Franklin, Wisconsin 414-425-2995

Not local - http://warrenelectronics.com/
http://antennasdirect.com/

basshive

Marmax is awesome, just be sure you call and ask if they have what you want in stock before driving there.

We have also ordered from solid signal quite a bit and they are very good as well.

//www.solidsignal.com
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

SRW1000

You can also get some pretty good deals at Skywalker Communication, 2445 South 179th St., New Berlin, WI 53146.  PH:  (262) 786-5887.

They are a distributor and don't sell direct to consumers.  However, they seem to have a don't ask/don't tell policy.  As long as you know what you want, they'll sell it to you without question.

Their prices were at least 20% less than anywhere else when I bought my antenna and compression tools/fixtures from them.

Scott

budda

Got a 8 bay bow tie 60 mile and the best power booster you can get, am installing tomorrow will post results after Packer game , peace out