News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

SDV Sucks

Started by Gregg Lengling, Saturday Nov 15, 2008, 09:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nick3092

You can use your cable box to do some basic power level and signal to noise ratio checks in the diagnostic screens.  It would be interesting to compare the stats between both boxes (make sure you tune the same channel, power levels fluctuate based on frequency).  You can also use the Motorola cable modem to view some basic power and SNR stats too.

wireblsam

Quote from: mhz40;49231The tech needs to check forward and return path RF levels, or he/she is wasting your time and the companies money.

When the second visit came with a month of free service attached to it, I found the frustration to be time well spent.

ckkopenski

Just had my repair visit. I was very optimistic right from the start because the tech didn't walk up to my house with a new converter box like every other tech that's  been here in the last two years has.

He took some readings from outside and said everything was fine. Came into the den where I'm having the trouble and took everything apart from the wall forward. He said the reading at the wall plate was all over the place. He took everything off and found an extra fitting or extra piece of metal that didn't belong back there. He said it was barely touching another piece of metal. He redid the fittings to remove the extra piece of metal. He said once he did that the readings were rock-solid. Not too high at all.

He then said he did a 2way test with his test set to something downtown. All the tests passed with flying colors.

So, I'm now getting all HD channels, SDV or not. I'm also now getting On Demand stuff, which never worked in this room either.

He was here for over 45 mins. Most of which was sitting on the den floor with his test set and redoing the fittings in the wall. He took his time. It was really nice to see. When he was done, he came and ran off all the steps he took and what he did to fix the stuff.

I think I'll call in so he gets an attaboy for this visit.

Corey

Jack 1000

Quote from: ckkopenski;49262Just had my repair visit. I was very optimistic right from the start because the tech didn't walk up to my house with a new converter box like every other tech that's  been here in the last two years has.

He took some readings from outside and said everything was fine. Came into the den where I'm having the trouble and took everything apart from the wall forward. He said the reading at the wall plate was all over the place. He took everything off and found an extra fitting or extra piece of metal that didn't belong back there. He said it was barely touching another piece of metal. He redid the fittings to remove the extra piece of metal. He said once he did that the readings were rock-solid. Not too high at all.

He then said he did a 2way test with his test set to something downtown. All the tests passed with flying colors.

So, I'm now getting all HD channels, SDV or not. I'm also now getting On Demand stuff, which never worked in this room either.

He was here for over 45 mins. Most of which was sitting on the den floor with his test set and redoing the fittings in the wall. He took his time. It was really nice to see. When he was done, he came and ran off all the steps he took and what he did to fix the stuff.

I think I'll call in so he gets an attaboy for this visit.

Corey

Great Corey!

But why can't all techs be like this?  There is far too much fluctuation concerning the competence of who you get.  A lot of times. I know more than the tech guy, and I'm not even into this stuff that much.  Maybe because you had so many problems in the past, they sent someone out with more experience.  However, it's unfair that so many customers have to jump through hoops to get someone that knows what they are talking about.  Qualified people should be sent out the first time!

The one consistency is that you stand a better chance of getting someone qualified with a TWC tech, than one of those independent contractors who have all the knowledge of a McDonald's reject!

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

LoadStar

As of 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, _no_ SDV channels are coming in here. All other services are working just fine.

And the "(A) Try again" at the bottom should be relabeled "(A) Press if it will make you feel better. Won't do any good though."

ETA: after a _HALF HOUR_ reboot of the cable box, SDV is working again. HALF HOUR! Thank you, OCAP. :mad:

Jack 1000

QuoteAnd the "(A) Try again" at the bottom should be relabeled "(A) Press if it will make you feel better. Won't do any good though."

I nominate this as the "Quote of the month from Loadstar!!!"

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide