News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

SDV and signal strength

Started by dobberino, Sunday Nov 02, 2008, 09:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dobberino

Long time lurker, first time poster...

I, like many, am having issues with the TWC switch to SDV and not being able to watch some channels.  This morning (Sunday), I was unable to tune in over half of the HD channels that are SDV, including ESPN2 HD.  TWC32 is now SDV and I wasn't able to tune in.  I have a 8300HD box, I've done the reboot thing several times with no improvement.  I've replaced the cables in the house with RG6 and a new 3-way splitter.  Is signal strength an issue with SDV?  For those in the know, here are my numbers:

QAM:  Power level -14 dBmV (in yellow!), SNR 30 dB
FDC Power level:  0 dBmV
RDC Power level:  45 dBmV

On my Roadrunner service,
Downstream SNR 33.5 dB, Power level -7.5 dBmV
Upstream Power level 44 dBmV

I know these are not the best numbers.  Is it possible that the issue is with the signal coming into the house?  Will improving these numbers improve the reception of the SDV channels?  I know having a tech come out won't hurt.

Pat

cnjbucks

I had the same issue late last week.  Sometime on Thursday I lost the last set of HD channels that TWC added.  When I went to the channel, I would get the message that the channel was unavailable, but A to try again.  I rebooted my boxes several times, and then called TWC.  The tech sent a signal to my boxes, which rebooted them, but that did not fix it so they scheduled a tech to come out yesterday.

Sometime between Friday night and Saturday morning, those channels came back for me.  The tech still came out, checked my signal strength, and he said everything was great.  He also checked the on-screen diagnostics, and there were no errors in that information.  He mentioned that they are still working the bugs out of SDV and that may have been the issue.  

On a side not, he said that TWC would be looking to expand into the 45-50 HD channel range by the end of the year, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

tencom

It is my opinion that SDV, has not been implimented as yet. As my recent channel  scan shows 344 analog and Digital video streams, What I did notice was now there is  encrypted  video  on  channels 117, 118, 119, 120, and 122 with only 3 or 4 video streams on each channel which indicates a good possiability they were HDTV streams since these newly created channels are above 750 megahertz  the upper  limit for TWC HFC system and may indicate why some are having problems with the latest HD additions as 30 Db. SNR and -14 Db. signal level beig quite near the Cable Labs lower limit specifications for digital reception. With the 344 streams  being available on TWC which is up from several months ago one can conclude from this data that the newly added HDTV video streams were the result of channel expansion rather then SDV.

kevbeck122

SDV is for sure implemented.  Maybe people on your neighborhood node were tuning into new channels, therefore they might show up in a scan.