News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Hulu (and other sites) viewed on HD TV

Started by spolebitski, Saturday Nov 29, 2008, 09:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spolebitski

Anyone have a suggestion on the best way to view content from websites (hulu, cbs, abc, nbc) via their HDTV?

Do I need a special box?

skier8734

I simply have a DVI to HDMI cable and then have mini stereo to rca cable to run the sound over, with hulu if the show your watching is available in 480p then it looks pretty decent.  The cables can be had very cheaply from monoprice.com

spolebitski

Can you get a small computer that has HDMI outputs on it?  I guess that would solve the problem as well.  Maybe even something that looks like a DVR (in size)?

skier8734

You could, but as far as I know there are no onboard graphics that output hdmi, mainly only higher end graphics cards and then I don't think they send the sound with them but i'm not sure.  Anyway if you do need a graphics card with hdmi the size of the card would make the computer quite a bit bigger than a dvr box.

Bebop

If you prefer something small, Apple TV and Boxee works.

http://www.boxee.tv/

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

SRW1000

The PS3 also kind of works for some of these sites.  There's a rumored fimware upgrade coming soon that will increase compatibility.

Scott

kevbeck122

You can use PlayOn with a PS3 or XBOX 360 for some of those video sites: http://www.themediamall.com/playon.  That also does Netflix streaming.

basshive

edit, got boxee invite.
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

Cheesehead Dave

Quote from: SRW1000;49350The PS3 also kind of works for some of these sites.  There's a rumored fimware upgrade coming soon that will increase compatibility.

Scott
That firmware is now available. Haven't updated yet, but people on other sites are reporting that fullscreen video works great.

SRW1000

Quote from: Cheesehead Dave;49390That firmware is now available. Haven't updated yet, but people on other sites are reporting that fullscreen video works great.
I updated last night, but haven't been very impressed.  The audio and video are choppy, and sometimes there's no picture, just  a blank screen.  The Hulu HD feeds won't run at all, claiming that there's not enough memory.

As powerful as the PS3 is, there's really no excuse for this not to run flawlessly.

Scott

kevbeck122

I tried it too and had the same issues.  The HD videos gave me no picture.. but I had sound.  If I opened it in a new window, it gave me low memory warnings.  It seems like Flash is blocked from using hardware video acceleration, sort of like how you can't get video acceleration within linux if it's installed on the PS3.

The experience is a lot better IMO with that PlayOn software.

Cheesehead Dave

Quote from: SRW1000;49396I updated last night, but haven't been very impressed.  The audio and video are choppy, and sometimes there's no picture, just  a blank screen.  The Hulu HD feeds won't run at all, claiming that there's not enough memory.

As powerful as the PS3 is, there's really no excuse for this not to run flawlessly.

Scott
I wonder why? I updated last night as well and immediately went to Hulu. I watched a few shows and had no problems. There was a little bit of lag when I clicked on things, but I didn't get any kind of error.