News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Window location for plasma glare

Started by RonH, Friday Oct 03, 2008, 10:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonH

I'm looking to replace an LCD in our main viewing area (family room), and considering a Pioneer 50" Kuro plasma.

I was about to go for it but when I told the salesman I have a sliding glass door next to where the plasma would go he said "they you don't want a plasma."

The room has one window facing west, a large sliding glass door.  To the right of that would be the tv.  There are two floor lamps on the opposite wall, but no windows on the opposite wall.

IN the summer at 8pm as the sun goes down will I be fighting screen reflections and glare like crazy?  Or with the window on the same side as the TV will I be ok?

Mark Strube

I'm no scientist, but I don't see how light shining through a window on the same wall as the tv will cause glare. I think this might've been a misunderstanding between yourself and the salesperson?

Bebop

If the sun shines directly the spot where you'll be placing the TV neither LCD nor plasma will make the difference.  I have a plasma that is facing a big picture window and have no problem with the blinds closed during the day.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

WITI6fan

If you're REALLY worried about glare, and have a cable box or dish, you could always get one of Panasonic's nice pro-line Plasmas with anti-glare. WITI's new set uses them, and I've seen them at a couple businesses, and haven't seen a noticeable glare on one yet. The other day on TV the one on WITI's set angled up at the lights was shown and I didn't notice a glare. The picture quality was nice, too.

< /salesman> :D

(Edit: I recommend the 103-inch model. Please purchase it and then give us your address so we can all come over. ;) )

Mark Strube

Quote from: WITI6fan;48493I recommend the 103-inch model. Please purchase it and then give us your address so we can all come over...

...to steal it.

Bebop

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

gparris

Quote from: WITI6fan;48493If you're REALLY worried about glare, and have a cable box or dish, you could always get one of Panasonic's nice pro-line Plasmas with anti-glare. WITI's new set uses them, and I've seen them at a couple businesses, and haven't seen a noticeable glare on one yet. The other day on TV the one on WITI's set angled up at the lights was shown and I didn't notice a glare. The picture quality was nice, too.

< /salesman> :D

(Edit: I recommend the 103-inch model. Please purchase it and then give us your address so we can all come over. ;) )

Generally, if you tilt the set slightly off-angle, you shouldn't have a problem, check the frame, many are "piano-glossy black" and gleam back a lot of sunlight.

Yes, the 103-inch Panasonic Plasma is wall-sized and can be seen at the ABT Electronics store in Illinois.
-That is what I want if I win the lottery (like never).:rof: