• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Speculation on TBN

Started by kjnorman, Thursday Jan 02, 2003, 02:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kjnorman

I got thinking about this due to the thread about TW claming to carry 12 HDTV channels (if only they did!).

One of the channels incorrectly listed is TBN, the religious channel broadcast by WWRS-DT on OTA channel 44.  Now at the moment this channel broadcasts only a digital 480i signal.  Now I would never expect anything better than this from this broadcaster as it is a "non-commercial" (sort off) operation.

But this is where I wanted to speculate.  If TW is picking up TBN off the air digitally and piping it down their cable as channel 560, if WWRS-DT suddenly broadcast a HDTV program, would TW retransmit it?

I have no idea myself.  Open to debate?

wxndave

if WWRS-DT suddenly broadcast a HDTV program, would TW retransmit it?

I have no idea myself.  Open to debate?[/B][/QUOTE]

My guess would be no.  I think TWC does bandwidth limiting on there channels.  A questions that needs to be asked is TWC changing what TMJ and WISN and PBS giving them.  Are they running the same bandwidth as is being transmitted over the air?  Since there is a TWC person reading this forum could you please let us know.

Dave

kjnorman

I actually already know the answer to this, having had it explained to me by their chief headend engineer.  I was given a detailed description of this, but was asked not to retransmit it on this forum, and I will respect that.  

But in short, what they get is what they broadcast.  Now, they do remodulate the signal to a QAM256 format and some channels are multiplexed together to maximise their bandwidth, but it is not recompressed, say for example from 19.3Mbs Mpeg to 15 Mbs Mpeg.  

It was because of their statement of no recompressing the signal, than got me to speculate on WWRS-DT's signal if they suddenly bumped it up to HDTV resolution.

Hope this helps.