News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Chicago Spotbeam

Started by basshive, Wednesday Sep 03, 2008, 12:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basshive

I am considering a "move" to a Chicago address and was wondering if anyone here in the Milwaukee-Wisconsin area is getting their locals from the Chicago spotbeam. If so, what are you getting and how is the quality/stability?
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

js6751

We "moved" to Chicago with our DishNetwork service, and it worked out really well. We received all of the channels (all sd/hd) and had a constant signal level of above 50 (great reception, never cut out). Also the big 4 hd/sd are national, so if you actually move out of the spotbeam, you'll still get those 4 channels.

John L

I can receive some Chicago stations OTA. WGN-TV does all its news and sporting events in HD, including Cubs baseball.  I also get WFLD-DT and WPWR-DT regularly.

If I were to move to Chicago, I would have to give up on the Brewers, Bucks, Packers and become supporters of the Cubs, White Sox, Bulls, Bears, etc...

I wouldn't regret doing that because the Cubs truly have a superior team unlike the Brewers. Cubs have a lot better chance to go all the way and win the World Series this year. Brewers don't stand a chance.

But, right now I live in Muskego and must support the Brewers Bucks, Badgers and Packers.

FiberOptic

Quote from: basshive;47968I am considering a "move" to a Chicago address and was wondering if anyone here in the Milwaukee-Wisconsin area is getting their locals from the Chicago spotbeam. If so, what are you getting and how is the quality/stability?

I use a Chicago address and get all the Chicago local stations instead of the Milwaukee ones, picture and stability is perfect

basshive

Thats exactly what I needed to know, thank you!
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

troyriley

My parents may consider the opposite. They live in northern Illinois and, unfortunately, receive Chicago "locals" on DirecTV. They are actually closer to Milwaukee than Chicago and rely on OTA to watch the "more local" Milwaukee channels. OTA is not a problem for the broadcast channels, but Brewers games on FSN Wisconsin are unavailable. MLB's team territories are a joke, but that's another issue. Anyway, I had one of my DirecTV receivers hooked up there once and all of the Milwaukee locals were available from there. I don't know what good Chicago channels would do for us here in Milwaukee, but I would imagine the spot beam would cover the southern portion of the Milwaukee area, just as the Milwaukee spot beam reaches into Northern Illinois.

Chinatown

Quote from: troyriley;48001My parents may consider the opposite. They live in northern Illinois and, unfortunately, receive Chicago "locals" on DirecTV. They are actually closer to Milwaukee than Chicago and rely on OTA to watch the "more local" Milwaukee channels. OTA is not a problem for the broadcast channels, but Brewers games on FSN Wisconsin are unavailable. MLB's team territories are a joke, but that's another issue. Anyway, I had one of my DirecTV receivers hooked up there once and all of the Milwaukee locals were available from there. I don't know what good Chicago channels would do for us here in Milwaukee, but I would imagine the spot beam would cover the southern portion of the Milwaukee area, just as the Milwaukee spot beam reaches into Northern Illinois.

So, is it as simple as fabricating a flatland address, to get the Chicago locals?

troyriley

Quote from: Chinatown;48005So, is it as simple as fabricating a flatland address, to get the Chicago locals?

If my parents change their service address to get Milwaukee locals, I'll just let them use my Genoa City address. I guess I would get their mail from DirecTV. I have Dish Network, so there's no chance of DirecTV seeing that there are two accounts for that address. That actually makes me wonder if we could share DirecTV service (one account). I think I remember reading somewhere that it has to be an actual house address, not a PO Box.

I wonder what other spot beams reach the Milwaukee area... Madison, Green Bay, Rockford, Grand Rapids??? I'm not sure exactly how wide of an area the satellite signal reaches.

This all does seem a little fraudulent though. Has anyone heard of any problems using a false address?

Blitzburgh

Quote from: FiberOptic;47999I use a Chicago address and get all the Chicago local stations instead of the Milwaukee ones, picture and stability is perfect

I do the same. Use IL address. You can get CBS in HD that way.

My signals are 100%

Nels Harvey

If I could receive the Chicago stations on Dish, I wouldn't need to watch those stupid weather boxes when it might rain here!

Nels....
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.