News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Question about OTA Antenna in Wauwatosa

Started by Jason1515, Thursday Sep 18, 2008, 10:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason1515

I am looking at getting an outdoor antenna for my house in Wauwatosa... according to all the info I am less than 6 miles away from the Milwaukee towers.  Right now I am using bunny ears and I am pulling my hair out as I have a great signal and then i loose the signal and so on... makes DTV seem useless... but I have a feeling it has more to do with my house... a 1923 Bungelo.  

So my question is... will the CH 4228 be overkill or what would be a good recommendation on an antenna for my house... I am looking to get it soon so i can get it up on the roof before the snow comes and the I will regret my lack of action :)

Thanks,
Jason

troyriley

The 4228 definitely is overkill for the Milwaukee stations 6 miles away. Any small outdoor antenna will get reliable reception from Wauwatosa. The 4228 is more for fringe areas, 50+ miles out where reception is marginal. However, if you want to try to receive stations from other cities (Madison, Green Bay, Rockford, Grand Rapids, etc.)in addition to the locals, the 4228 certainly wouldn't be overkill. But, you're so close to the Milwaukee towers that those signals may overpower any distant station.

antennaguy

Quote from: Jason1515;48261I am looking at getting an outdoor antenna for my house in Wauwatosa

Jason:

I looked up Wauwatosa on antennapoint.com. All of the Milwaukee stations are UHF, including Racine and Kenosha, except the PBS station WMVS and all on the same compass heading of about 66°.

Try a ClearStream1 antenna from Antennas Direct. It's a brand new antenna design and is great for indoor, outdoor and attic use. It has a range of up to 30 miles.

Advanced design software allows these 10" x 10" antennas to be smaller and more powerful across the entire UHF DTV spectrum offering consistent high gain. The ClearStream1 is vastly superior to the existing compact antennas for receiving DTV signals. Good directivity at all frequencies with a peak gain of 8 dB. Provides substantial performance gains over commonly available compact antennas.

Antennas Direct provides you with a 90-day, no-fault return guarantee on all Antennas Direct antennas and a lifetime warranty against failure, corrosion, defects in materials or workmanship. If it doesn't do the job for you, just return it for a full refund, no questions asked.

Nels Harvey

I am about 6 miles north of the TV towers, and recently put up a CM 4228, about 25 ft. up on my tower.  All the intermittent signals from the local channels have disappeared.  There are some trees in line with them.

I am hoping to pick up something from Chicago after the leaves are gone, and the local analog transmitters are shut down in February.

The 4228 is quite directional.  That is how it increases the signal from where it is pointing.  If you do install a 4228, it will be necessary to be able to point it in the various directions to pick up other distant stations.

If you want just local channels, a basic Radio Shack UHF antenna will do just fine.  The signal will be strong, and steady, and you will get solid reception with a good installation.

Nels....
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.