• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

WISN or ESPN for 9/8 Packer Game?

Started by steve053, Monday Sep 08, 2008, 03:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How are you recording tonight's (9/8) Packer game?

ISN OTA
0 (0%)
ISN via cable/sat/etc.
2 (14.3%)
SPN
10 (71.4%)
ther
2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: Thursday Sep 18, 2008, 04:00:11 PM

steve053

For those of use recording tonights game, I'm curious what channel you'll be recording:

- WISN OTA
- WISN via Provider (TWC, ATT, D*, E*, Comcast, or ?)
- ESPN
- Other

I usually try and record closest to the "source" - so I'm recording ESPN.

cdnelson

I'm going to record WISN as the ESPN feed on my box has terrible sound...dunno whether to blame ESPN or TWC for that!

...and if the game is going really poorly, there's always Terminator:The Sarah Connor Chronicles!  :D

Tom Snyder

I chose to DVR it on 12 because I couldn't catch it from the beginning... I'm starting to watch it now and apparently someone at 12 has forgotten to slip the HD switch.  

How bush league is that?!?!?!??!

Fortunately, I ALSO DVRed it on ESPN HD, because I had a feeling that a local station could possible screw it up...  they didn't let me down.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Tom Snyder

Update: 12 FINALLY flipped into HD about 5 minutes in.

Nice. :mad:
Tom Snyder

tbarney

I wish I had a direct line to someone at ESPN to tell them to give me the bottom 15% of my screen back instead of running the black bar across the entire bottom.

weedydeed

Quote from: tbarney;48111I wish I had a direct line to someone at ESPN to tell them to give me the bottom 15% of my screen back instead of running the black bar across the entire bottom.

I couldn't agree more.  It's even more ugly with the 18/58 Update crawler.:mad:

RonH

I can't believe how much of the screen ESPN wastes these days for football.  For college football they grey out the top 10% of the screen, and put the ticker across the bottom 15%.  Then for MNF, they just black out the bottom 20% to tell us it is "Monday Night Football".  I liked last year how they just had some scores in the middle of the bottom screen.

I thought they did this for old CRT tvs and the SD broadcast, but apparently not, as I just came from a crappy bar that had old CRT tvs and they had the bottom 20% of the screen wasted too.

I noticed this year FSN is showing their college football games with no graphics other than a score/time in the top left corner, but it is still placed for SD graphics.

HDNET has the best setup for football or soccer, with a very small graphic in the top left corner of the 16:9 signal.

troyriley

I had it on 12 at 6:00, but quickly switched to ESPN when 12 started showing it in standard definition. I saw that 12 switched to HD, but I do usually notice a slight delay on 12 compared to ESPN. I guess that's another reason to get it straight from the source, in this case ESPN.

tbarney

I just sent ESPN a notice asking them to remove the black bar on the bottom 20%.  They may never read it, but at least I tried. Here is a way to contact them.

Talos4

While the bar is annoying,

The real issue is Tony Kornheiser {fart}

The guy has got to go!!!!

By the end of the 2nd quarter you could tell Mike and Jaws had enough and so did I!

basshive

ESPN without a doubt. The sound quality is far superior to WISN and the picture is fantastic.

At this time, with ESPNs current MNF broadcasters I do not want the Pack on ANYMORE MNF games. Tony ruins it for me every time. When your mates say things like "You have to move on" "Enough about it". It means you are really going overboard and have become annoying, not witty, not funny, not sharp, ANNOYING. I am trying to use clean language but I was seriously loosing it with each and every comment he was making. Let us enjoy watching our team and our new qb for gods sake. No I am not sitting at home going "Wow that was like Favre!" No I am not thinking, "Favre did that same thing". I am enjoying my team!

Now, the bar... good grief. Not only was it taking up space but since when was it acceptable to not even show the down and distance in all that space. Sure its now on the field with fancy graphics but I still look to the bar for info... If you are going to take up that much space put the damn down and distance to go in it!
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

Tom Snyder

Apparently the HD/SD switching problem with 12 was due to a mixup with the codes sent by ESPN.  ESPN gave 12 the codes to unlock the HD decoder for the ESPN 2 feed by mistake. So locally, they had no option but to go SD until the new codes were given to them.
Tom Snyder

Nels Harvey

I watched the ESPN-HD feed, but listened to WTMJ Radio.   Wayne Larravie was about two seconds faster than the ESPN video.  He was even farther ahead on WISN than the ESPN feed because of more propagation and electronic processing delay.

I don't really need to hear the aimless patter that the TV broadcasters insist on giving us.  Larravie gives us a great play by play, with good color information from Larry McCarren.  I just wish the radio broadcast could be delayed to sync with the TV feeds somehow.

I also object to ESPN putting the plays in a small box with color data featured on the larger box.  Let us see the football game, not all the hype!

Nels....
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.