• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

When is Jim Hall and D* going to hammer it out ?

Started by DBEX, Friday Aug 29, 2008, 06:57:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBEX

Now that D* has expanded...when are Jim Hall from WDJT-TV and D* going to have a meeting of the minds and get CBS 58's HD signal on D* ?

tunce

When SD is finally dead, so there is only one signal to carry.  This is one of the most frustrating things about CBS in Milwaukee.  There is talk that Dish will get it soon, if that happens I will be on the phone with Directv and CBS to let them have it!

neomaxi

i know that CBS 58  HDis not carried on DISH locals but ihave a antennta i am going to hook up to mry DISH for OTA for 58   i live in waukesha... capital and sprindale road.  anyone know if i would be able to pick up 58... ??  its a indoor UHF antenna i picked up from  radio shaq today...  its the amplified UHF/VHF/FM antenna....  thanks!

gparris

Quote from: tunce;47868When SD is finally dead, so there is only one signal to carry.  This is one of the most frustrating things about CBS in Milwaukee.  There is talk that Dish will get it soon, if that happens I will be on the phone with Directv and CBS to let them have it!

Right and then I'll get it too (DirectvHD).
Not everyone can get/use OTA successfully (like me) and most locales that get the HD local networks from Directv have all 4, if not 5, HD locals offered by Directv- just look at Chicago's DMA.

Once analogue broadcasting is gone, CBS58 will have no choice except to offer the digital signal (with its HD offerings) or drop carriage altogether.;)

Tom Snyder

Do we know for sure if DirecTV has ANY agreements for carriage of any locals after the end of analog?
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Blitzburgh

I want Jim and DirecTV to come to some kind of agreement just as much as the next guy since I cannot get a signal via OTA over here by Lake Geneva.

But what does the anolog thing have to do with the HD thing as long as DirecTV does carry the SD version of 58?

basshive

QuoteBut what does the analog thing have to do with the HD thing as long as DirecTV does carry the SD version of 58?

In Feb the analog version should no longer exist. Thus they will have no choice but to give us the digital/hd feed unless he would prefer we just not get CBS at all which could well be the case with Hall.
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

kevbeck122

If this were true, then D* locals wouldn't include CW18, My24, etc. after Feb.  The SD feed from all the locals is a digital feed I believe.  There's a direct fiber connection from the station to an uplink facility from what I understand.  As long as the local stations still provide an SD channel, you'll get it on D* after Feb.

Tom Snyder

Earlier this year, the FCC gave DirecTV and Dish permission to down-res their local digital/HD signals to SD for up to 4 years after the analog signals are turned off.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6543480.html

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that Feb 17th will not force DirecTV to carry any local channel in full HD right away.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

basshive

QuoteEarlier this year, the FCC gave DirecTV and Dish permission to down-res their local digital/HD signals to SD for up to 4 years after the analog signals are turned off.

That is terrible on so many levels. It is pointless when the tv connected to the D* or Dish box would be able to view the same channels without them being down converted to "SD".  The boxes will still display all the channels at 480i.

Back to the drawing board! {fart}
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System