• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

BUD's

Started by Todd Wiedemann, Tuesday Dec 10, 2002, 05:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Wiedemann

I think that this only relates to Kevin, but maybe Gregg and Andy our uplinkguy too.

Is there still the 'fun' content out on the C-Band satellites in the clear, like wildfeeds and radio and syndicated uplinks, etc ??

I've always wanted a BUD, but really don't want to pay a lot as I'd only use it for playing around with the stuff I mentioned above.

Perhaps it's a bit of a dream, but I'd love to find someone that wanted to 'abandon' their BUD setup and give the stuff away. I'd stick with DirecTV due to 'wife-acceptance-factor'.

[This message has been edited by Todd Wiedemann (edited 12-10-2002).]

Gregg Lengling

Don't know what's all on there nowadays...but there are units to be had for next to nothing all the time.  I see them at HamFests and rummage sales for nothing.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Todd Wiedemann

With IRD's ???

All I want to view is the non-subscription stuff. If you see something in good condition, please keep me in mind and give me a call.

I have access to large, steel-hauling trucks, I could transport it with.

Man, that would be so cool !

Perhaps Kevin will chime in here about the non subscription stuff.

Kevin Arnold

C band is alive and well. Most of the subscription content is now in digital 4dtv including the HD content. There was a huge price discount lately on the 4dtv "sidecar" which is a slave receiver for any regular C band unit. National Programming Service is selling these for $50 with purchase of programming - quite a deal especially since subscription costs are lower. I paid $99 for one year of Showtime and The Movie Channel, east and west feeds, including the HD service. Not bad. Most of the network stuff and wild feeds are being sent down in MPEG format that isn't scrambled - just need the MPEG receiver. And the 4dtv has wild feed capabilities also. I'll save what for a in person explanation. Only bump is the entry fee for the dish and equipment. Kind of like spending the $500 for the STB and getting OTA for free.
Almost forgot, 4d has the DMX music channels included for free. Check www.dmxmusic.com  for all the stuff.

[This message has been edited by kjarnold (edited 12-10-2002).]
Kevin Arnold

uplinkguy

Most of the fun stuff in the clear is on KU-band.

I believe some syndicated programming is still sent in the clear from places like Buena vista Television and Warner Brothers and the like.

Almost all the college sports are backhauled in the clear back to the network.  A few are on c-band.  These would be ABC and CBS football, sometimes ESPN football and CBS basketball.

The majority of college games are on ku-band.
(10 times as many trucks to uplink them.)

As for finding the hardware, just take a drive in the country and look for a big dish facing the ground or being used as a pitching target.  Offer to take it off their hands.

I would be sure to have one if I could see enough of the southern sky.

good luck with the search.
andy