• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Any slingbox users out there?

Started by basshive, Sunday Aug 17, 2008, 08:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basshive

I just setup a slingbox here. The primary purpose is for my uncle in Japan to be able to get his sports fix and see the Maryland games. So far it seems pretty awesome but my testing has been limited to inhouse lan usage. Looking for some real world info and maybe some tests.
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

benski007

I have had a slingbox for about 1 year now.  It is basically used by my friend who lives in Alaska so he can watch the Packer games.  The performance of a slingbox is all dependent on the upload speed of where the slingbox is located.  I have the RR package with 7MB down/ 512Kb up.  I think the 512Kb up is really the minimum needed to watch the slingbox remotely.  The pictures are relatively smooth and the audio is good too.  If you will be using the slingbox a lot I would consider upgrading your connection to 1MB up.

basshive

Benski,

I do use RR Turbo so I have the 15x1 setup here. I am hoping that gives it the extra umpf to provide decent quality. Thanks for your info. Good to know its in use to remote places. I will know in a day or so how the performance is broadcasting to Japan.
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

HDefinicktion

Should be interesting the quality that they get over there.  I use mine all the time, mostly to have Brewer games on during the day at work, or to catch the Packer games when I am out of town.  The quality on the LAN is always great, but can suffer outside.  It is true that the up speed of your connection will help quite a bit, but it also depends on the other ends down.  I also have the turbo package, and is helpful in this situation.  I have noticed, in limited settings that it seems to be better on cable modem setups, than DSL.  The only times I have tried it is with ATT DSL, and Coastal DSL in Georgia.  My friends who also have RR, never seemed to have lag, and the picture was always good enough for full screen res.