• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Should I go DirecTV or TWC?

Started by jkscherk, Friday Dec 06, 2002, 02:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkscherk

All things being equal, if I have access (and funds) for either, which should I choose?  Does one offer better resolution than the other?

Gregg Lengling

I may be biased but I've had the best with Directv....everytime I go someplace that has TWC the quality isn't as good.  Also even though you have to invest in the equipment, Directv offers many more programming options at a lower cost......I'd die without BBC-America which Directv has but the others don't.  

Just make sure you invest in a HDTV Directv setup with a dual or triple LNB setup, or you'll just end up with standard NTSC and none of the HD channels. (just make sure you have a good clear shot at the sky just west of south)

------------------
Gregg R. Lengling
RCA P61310 61" 16x9
(Built in DTC100 w/Directv)
HiDTV Pro 2 computer reciever card
glengling@ameritech.net
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

JoeK

Boy, you really do want to start a fight.

I believe the anwser is a definite "it depends".  How well you can pick up OTA signals from your location, how many TV sets do you want access for, your internet access options, programing priorities, etc. Standard TV picture quality varies considerably on TWC.  DirectTV or DISH appear to be consistantly better.  Digital TWC signals are very good.  What is the best way to recieve local HD stations?  Read the forum. Both OTA and cable are having there challenges.  I'm currently using TWC.  I'm considering putting up an antenna, adding a STB and seeing if I can get a consistant OTA signal from Madison.  Fox and CBS digital would be nice.  Then again, maybe these will be available on cable soon?  My location is a problem for recieving a clean OTA signal from Milwaukee stations.  As for programing, HDNET - DirectTV only, HD Discovery - DISH only.(Gregg, TWC carries BBC-America)  Down the road, ESPN HD. We can only speculate on the best way to receive that.