• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Directv questions

Started by cnjbucks, Sunday Aug 10, 2008, 10:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnjbucks

Hi guys,

I am starting to lean towards giving up on TW and switch to Direct-tv.  Below are my questions, hopefully I can get some help:

1)  DVR: Is the software used Directv's, or is it TIVO based?  I haven't seen it so I didn't know how it works.  I have read you can record two shows at the same time and then watch another recorded show.  If I have two TV's, can I still watch something on the second tv (this is assuming I only have one DVR and on HD receiver).
2) What is the picture quality in terms of comparing it to TW and Uverse?  I have seen posts where it is TW, Directv, and Uverse.  
3) This one is mostly for my wife :rof: ....  How bad does the weather have to be for any loss in picture quality?  For example, in May when we had all the rain, were there outages?  What about snow?

Thanks everybody!

basshive

Quote1) DVR: Is the software used Directv's, or is it TIVO based? I haven't seen it so I didn't know how it works. I have read you can record two shows at the same time and then watch another recorded show. If I have two TV's, can I still watch something on the second tv (this is assuming I only have one DVR and on HD receiver).

A few years back DirecTV stopped deployment of DirecTivo units and rolled out their own DVR software. It is very very solid and feature packed. Tivo might win for ease of use with DirecTV's software right behind it. I like the D* guide 100 times better than I liked the Tivo guide when we had the DirecTivo units.

Yes you can record two shows at once and watch a recorded show at the same time on the same box. If you had another DVR or box you can watch whatever you want on that one.  4 lines come in from the dish, then they go to a multiswitch, typicall a 4x8 so you can have 8 lines in the house. More can be done ofcourse depending on your deployment :D

Quote2) What is the picture quality in terms of comparing it to TW and Uverse? I have seen posts where it is TW, Directv, and Uverse.

We used TWC for a year before putting D* back in place. Have had D* since 02. I think the HD quality on TWC was fantastic but I do not think it was any better than what we have with D*. Since they moved to mpeg4 the HD quality is fantastic! As with all things there are about 1000 variables such as tv, cables, calibration etc which all come in to play but for us, D* is wonderful. I have not to this day read one post, article or story saying the quality of Uverse picture comes close to either TWC or D*. The limitations with the Uverse streams able to be brought into the home is enough for it to never be an option for us.

Quote3) This one is mostly for my wife  .... How bad does the weather have to be for any loss in picture quality? For example, in May when we had all the rain, were there outages? What about snow?

Tough one here and one I am sure many here can comment on. It is so dependant on the type of storm. Pouring rain may have no effect whereas a light shower with certain atmospheric conditions can knock it out for a few minutes. I have never had any snow related issues. Just certain storms which literally turn the skies black. Even then I loose signal for maybe 2-5 mins.

I explained to my wife that the HD offerings we get vs. TWC more than cover the few minutes we may loose signal during the season and I think she actually agrees.  Ofcourse you can always setup OTA as backup.
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

steve053

Quote2) What is the picture quality in terms of comparing it to TW and Uverse? I have seen posts where it is TW, Directv, and Uverse.  

I had TWC for ~ a year before going back to DirecTv in April 2007.  I'd say the picture is comparable now that DirecTv has moved to mpeg4.  I can't tell the difference between OTA locals and the D* locals (well, except for CBS HD) :(  ).

My Dad has Uverse and the little I saw looked very good.  My non technical opinion is that they are all comparable.  YMMV

Quote3) This one is mostly for my wife .... How bad does the weather have to be for any loss in picture quality? For example, in May when we had all the rain, were there outages? What about snow?  

This past May during the worst parts of the storm my DirecTv was out.  However, my OTA worked fine.  This past winter when we had multiple 12" snow storms, I did have to sweep the snow off my dish (first time since the late '90's when I first went to sat).  

That being said, one of the reasons that we dropped TWC (other than the massive HD offering from D*) was the horrible pixilation and stuttering that we had on TWC.  We're in an older Brookdifled subdevision that I'm guessing was cabled by TWC 30 years ago.  It's so bad that even the internet service is abysmal.  That being said, I have friends that rarely have a TWC/RR outage.

We're loving D* now.  For the Olympics they mapped all of the stations covering the Olympics to the 750's and created an olympic games guide.  Granted not every channel is lit all the time, but it's really easy to find out what's on when.

jreinardy

Wondering if I could add one more question to this.  How much control do you get over dish placement on the install?  

I have an older house that faces south, and there is no way we want a dish on the front of the house.  We would either want it on a dormer on the back of the roof, on the garage if I can get the right angle, or on a pole.  Do I get options?

Thanks,

Jim

steve053

Quote from: jreinardy;47528Wondering if I could add one more question to this.  How much control do you get over dish placement on the install?  

I have an older house that faces south, and there is no way we want a dish on the front of the house.  We would either want it on a dormer on the back of the roof, on the garage if I can get the right angle, or on a pole.  Do I get options?

Thanks,

Jim

The installer "should" place the dish in the most optimal spot; taking into consideration LOS (line of site) and grounding.  There is also a 100' max coax run limitation.  Dishes are typically grounded to your ground rod (sometimes near the external water meeter); or grounded to an internal water pipe (as long as there are no pvc pipes between the ground and the point the dish is grounded into the pipe).  Don't let them ground the dish to your gutter like my first installer did.

If the dormer or garage fit the bill there shoudn't be any problem with the install.  If the front of the house is the only place the installer deciceds that the dish can go (due to los), BUT a pole mounted dish in the backyard would work - I believe that this would be considered a custom job and you would be required to pay for the custom portion of the install.  Depending on the installer, don't be surprised if they tell you they won't do a pole mount install.

From what I have read on DBSTalk if you go the pole mount route, it should be mounted in concrete.  This will avoid future allignment problems once the dish is properly alligned.  I've also read suggestions to put a couple of long screws through the end of the pipe that is being cemented (supposed to help stop future twisting).

Best of luck.

basshive

If the roof has LOS and you choose to not have it put there, they will charge you for the pole install. If you go the pole route they charge for that and trenching of the cables to the house. I was lucky in that I had no LOS on the roof so pole was only option and free. The cost will vary by installer.

One great advantage to a pole is easy access. If snow builds up or ice, you can remedy it yourself without risking your life! :)
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

RLJSlick

The pole is what I did and I made sure I not the installer found the best location, because they may try to put in in the "cheapest" location they can. You may also save money by installing the mask(pole) yourself.
Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System

RonH

I switched about 3 months ago from TWC to Directv.

1) You heard the answer already.  The advanced features that may not be so documented of the directv DVR make it superior to the TWC DVR.  For example I have my DVR find anything with the word "Brewers" in the title on a certain channel range and record it.

2) PQ of directv is equal to the milwaukee TWC channels for the mpeg4 feeds.  The recently started switching all of the original HDTV channels that were MPEG2 (ESPN,  HDnet movies) to mpeg4 with the new satellite.

3) I loose signal whenever a "bad" storm is coming.  What matters is the thickness and density of the clouds.  I switched in the spring and therefore had quite a few storms to deal with.  Basically, when directv went out, it meant a major storm was about to roll through in 2-4 minutes (since storms come from the southwest, the direction of the dish).  It is like clockwork.  With a DVR, the rain fade issue is less of a deal, as you can still watch things off the DVR or OTA if you have a AM51 (although sometimes the storm was so bad OTA was affected).  I checked last night and my signals range from 72-100 depending on he satellite and transponder, so I may some room for improvement on the low end with alignment.  Light rain does nothing.  But severe rains will certainly take your directv signal down for 1-15 minutes.  I've heard snow has less of an effect, since when it is colder, severe storms are rare.  However if your dish is packed with snow you will have to get out there and clear it off, but from what I've heard this is a once every couple of years type activity.

Directv will run you around $10/month more in my experience depending on your package and how many tv's you want to hook up, but currently you get 60 more HD channels, so it may be worth it.   The only time I watch SD is the daily show and brewers games that are not in HD.  And when it comes to things like olympics, directv will always come through with all the HD feeds, unlike TWC, who could care less.

Customer service is not that much better than TWC.  THe techs still don't know anything, and are sometimes in india.

If you sign up, be sure to call the special "referral number" and give them someone's account number so you and the person can get $50 each.  I'm sure someone on this forum will offer their number up if you don't know anyone already.

Bebop

Quote from: RLJSlick;47538The pole is what I did and I made sure I not the installer found the best location, because they may try to put in in the "cheapest" location they can. You may also save money by installing the mask(pole) yourself.

They tend to use the easiest way (for the installer, usually the roof), not necessary the best location.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun