• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

D* Locals question

Started by FullThrottle64, Sunday Aug 17, 2008, 11:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullThrottle64

Hi all -

I am moving into the area, and will be closing on a house in West Bend in a week or so.  It only took about 5 minutes to tell that Charter didn't have the HD channels I want, so I'll be transferring in my D* HD service.  

Now for the question:  What locals are available on DirecTV in the West Bend area?  Any trouble getting the waivers?  Any need to go OTA, or is it possible to get everything worth having from D*?

Thanks in advance.....

smack

Welcome to the area...

DirecTv will have local feeds from NBC, ABC and Fox available with HD feeds with the 5 lnb dish.

Channel 58 (CBS) does not have an agreement with D* to broadcast in HD at this point, but their SD signal is carried by D*.

Channels 18 and 24 are independent stations (WB & UPN) and like CBS-58 are available only in SD on D*at this point (who knows what the future holds).

I have an OTA antenna in my attic, since before the HD's were available on D* so I get all of the locals OTA also, but I am in Waukesha.  I'm not sure how the reception is up in West Bend and maybe some others can chime in on this.  

I think most on here will agree that getting a waiver from CBS-58 is very unlikely, especially living as close as West Bend.  So if you watch a lot of CBS-58 and want it in HD, you will need to get an OTA.

So yes D* has all of the locals available (less the sub channels for PBS) but at this point only NBC, ABC & Fox are in HD.

Hope that helps...

FullThrottle64

Quote from: smack;47655Welcome to the area...

Thank you!

QuoteI think most on here will agree that getting a waiver from CBS-58 is very unlikely, especially living as close as West Bend.  So if you watch a lot of CBS-58 and want it in HD, you will need to get an OTA.

So yes D* has all of the locals available (less the sub channels for PBS) but at this point only NBC, ABC & Fox are in HD.

Hope that helps...

Yes, it does.  This was exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks again!

Jimboy

gparris

Quote from: smack;47663channel 18 is WB (Warner Brothers) is the television network.  

I'm way behind though as it looks like UPN gone and is now MyNetworkTV.

Channel 18 is affiliated with a network named "The CW", which is part CBS (the "C" part) and Warner Bros. Television (the "W" part), a unit of Time Warner.
This has been so or some time, too and its new fall season will start soon, I believe, for another year.:D

tbarney

Quote from: FullThrottle64;47653Hi all -

I am moving into the area, and will be closing on a house in West Bend in a week or so.  It only took about 5 minutes to tell that Charter didn't have the HD channels I want, so I'll be transferring in my D* HD service.  

Now for the question:  What locals are available on DirecTV in the West Bend area?  Any trouble getting the waivers?  Any need to go OTA, or is it possible to get everything worth having from D*?

Thanks in advance.....

I can't specifically comment on D*, but I can give you some idea of the OTA expectations. I'm in Germantown, so a bit closer to the city then you are, but the same direction out of the city. I have an antenna in my attic (2 story house) pointed back at Milwaukee and I get all of the locals in at about 90-95% signal strength.  If you get an outdoor antenna up high enough you will have no issues pulling in all of the channels. If you have a tall house and put something in the attic I would expect that you'll have pretty good results as well.