• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

PBS Jim Leher News Hour in HD -- MIA

Started by Stanley Kritzik, Wednesday Aug 06, 2008, 06:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjucoder

Quote from: duncantuna;47730Prioritizing Children's HD programming over The Newshour?
Yeah, that would sure be opposite at my house.   I wonder what kiddie show(s) is getting priority over Newshour?  Are they using current ratings to make this decision?  Maybe it is the time slot that makes it more kid-friendly then news-friendly.  Maybe they don't know yet, and are experimenting with the new channel lineup to see what works.  Maybe if kiddie shows at that time slot don't pack in the ratings maybe we will get our HD Newshour back.

jjallou

I thought they had the capability to record and re-air HD? Can't they record it and offer it in HD at a different time?

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: duncantuna;47730Gosh, where to begin.  Prioritizing Children's HD programming over The Newshour?    This has got to be a sad joke.  :mad:

It is puzzling that they would indeed prioritize children's programming on the HD channel.  I assume this doesn't mean that all of the kid shows will be in HD, and since a lot of the episodes are many years old, wouldn't it make more sense to put them on 36-1 after Sept 1?  They can't be afraid kids or parents would not find them.  Everybody will search for a free babysitter. ;)

Besides, the kids I know have no trouble engrossing themselves quite fully in a 4:3 show, and I haven't heard any of them say they weren't watching any more shows that are not in HD.

duncantuna

This is really odd.  

First off, the NewsHour was on my guide for 10-1 (TWC 510) at 6:30 tonight, Monday.  What recorded was not the NewsHour, however.

But .. looking at the TWC guide, channel 510, the PBS-HD .. has the NewsHour at 6:30 every night this week.  Whether it's really the Newshour, or some other crap like it was tonight, I know not.

So .. maybe, just maybe, we had an effect, and they are scheduling this on HD, and they just messed up tonight.

They'd better.  I just watched the NewsHour they broadcast on 36 (TWC 16) .. the video quality was horrific .. far worse than normal, as if I was getting the signal OTA.  And .. the audio was a fraction off.

edit:  After looking at this : http://mptv.org/listings/index.php

It would appear that my hypothesis is wrong .. NewsHour is schedule for channel 36.1 at 6:30pm.

Time to complain again.  Here's the GM's email:  brombere@matc.edu  (Ellis Bromberg)

duncantuna

One other thing .. one item that the GM mentioned was "on the new MPTV-Digital-36 (which Time Warner will add on Channel 516) "

Two questions:

1. Anyone have 516 yet?

2. All channels from 500-549 are in HD.  Why would TWC add a non-HD channel in there?  What exactly is "Digital 36"?  What's different between a "digital" channel and one that is HD?

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: duncantuna;47940One other thing .. one item that the GM mentioned was "on the new MPTV-Digital-36 (which Time Warner will add on Channel 516) "

Two questions:

1. Anyone have 516 yet?

2. All channels from 500-549 are in HD.  Why would TWC add a non-HD channel in there?  What exactly is "Digital 36"?  What's different between a "digital" channel and one that is HD?

2.  I am no expert, but digital would be ATSC instead of NTSC, or in the case of cable QAM, but at a lower resolution that whatever is the minimum considered to be HD.  

My Radio Shack converter box did not automatically handle this change well.  It added the new 36.x channels but failed to remove the old 10-2 thru 10-8.  I even did a factory reset, which had no effect.  I had to delete the old channels manually or they would show up as blank when surfing.