• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

I Didn't Know All D* Has For DVRs

Started by Stanley Kritzik, Monday Jul 28, 2008, 02:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stanley Kritzik

My son's been in town from Denver, where he's a D* customer, and he showed me an item I was not aware of.  With a D* DVR, such as an HR21, I can access their web site, and request a program to be recorded.  I assume the request comes over the satellite signal; I tried it and it works fine.  The requested program gets added to the "to do" list, and, I gather, for anyone with more than one DVR, one can specify the box to get the recording.

Does TimeWarner have similar facilities?  And, since I have Comcast at my vacation home, I wonder what they have.  Anyone know?  The facility is useful for anyone who's forgetful.

Stan

Chinatown

Dish has the same thing. As long as your computer is hooked up to a receiver you can program from anywhere.

murdoc

I've used my iPhone to schedule something I've forgotten about at the last minute.  The software is great.

kevbeck122

TWC does not have that functionality... nor does any cable company that I know of.  Dish, D* and U-verse all have it.

I'm sure it's something that can be added... cable boxes have a builtin DOCSIS modem AFAIK, and the latest Cisco (SA) boxes have network connectivity.. they just won't bother with it.