• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

WISN may be going HD soon i think

Started by khafferkamp, Monday Jul 28, 2008, 11:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HD News In Milwaukee

Ill WISN GO HD SOON
7 (25.9%)
Ill WTMJ GO HD SOON
14 (51.9%)
Ill WJDT GO HD SOON
2 (7.4%)
Ill WITI GO HD SOON
4 (14.8%)

Total Members Voted: 27

WITI6fan

Quote from: js6751;47342Ahhh, soon. My favorite word. Come on, we promise we won't tell anyone;) ! Can you tell us if it will be this month at all (august)? I just read that the NBC station in Richmond, VA just went HD (and they're #59 DMA:eek: )!

Mmmmm, Ok. It will reportedly happen this month unless some stuff doesn't get worked out.

basshive

Not to nit pick but this month ends today? Or do you mean August? :)
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

Bluto

Quote from: basshive;47373Not to nit pick but this month ends today? Or do you mean August? :)

:D

I'd be just fine with August.  Of 2008.

js6751

Should we assume that he's talking about FOX 6?

LoadStar

Quote from: js6751;47381Should we assume that he's talking about FOX 6?

Not necessarily. FOX6fan is just his screen name, but based on what I've seen, he follows all the local news media.

My gut says WTMJ is most likely. NBC really wanted as many affiliates to go HD as possible by the Olympics, from what I've heard. I don't think WTMJ will make that sort of deadline though.

Next most likely is WISN, who have done local HD longer than anyone, save Milwaukee Public TV.

Third up would be WITI, who just retrofitted their main studio and added a brand new studio from scratch, one that is HD ready I'd presume. Still, HD is more than just a set - it's the cameras and everything in the control room. Dunno how much of that was upgraded - I have a faint memory that WITI also upgraded their control room, or at least the switchboard, not too long ago as well.

WDJT is the dark horse candidate. They operate so close to the bone it would shock me if they splurged on HD. Still, it would be a good way for them to make a big (if temporary) splash in the market.

(I know! It's Sinclair - they're bringing back a newscast on WVTV!!! ;))

WITI6fan

Quote from: LoadStar;47382Third up would be WITI, who just retrofitted their main studio and added a brand new studio from scratch, one that is HD ready I'd presume. Still, HD is more than just a set - it's the cameras and everything in the control room. Dunno how much of that was upgraded - I have a faint memory that WITI also upgraded their control room, or at least the switchboard, not too long ago as well.

They replaced their switcher and Chyron a week or so before they started using the FOX O&O graphics.

Quote(I know! It's Sinclair - they're bringing back a newscast on WVTV!!! ;))
Close! It's WPXE! They're launching a HD Newscast called Ion Milwaukee (get it? Eye-on Milwaukee? :D).

vegasvic

I'm surprised 58 doesn't still broadcast in black & white.

LoadStar

Quote from: WITI6fan;47383Close! It's WPXE! They're launching a HD Newscast called Ion Milwaukee (get it? Eye-on Milwaukee? :D).

You sure? I heard it would be WVCY. All the news Vic approves of!

js6751

WITI6Fan, what channel are you under the impression will "reportedly" launch their newscasts in HD? What is your source? I'm just curious as I'm sure it will slightly drive up their ratings. Especially with close ratings between WTMJ/WISN and WITI/WDJT. Thanks for all your insight!

js6751

Usually these launches of HD newscasts occur on mondays, so I guess it won't be happening this week...

techguy1975

I personally could care less if any of the stations start doing news in HD.  Its not really that huge of a deal to me.  Its still going to be the same sensationalictic, over-hyped news that we have now, and there is some newscasters here I'd rather NOT see in extra crystal clear formats.

Now.. I pose this question, if a station upgrades their internal equipment for HD, will they follow suit for remote broadcasts?  If I recall correctly, when 58's live truck took a dip in the lake a few years back, a new one cost $250,000 for a SD truck, I'm sure a HD would be MUCH more, and probably not worth it for the occasional live hit from the latest murder scene or Summerfest remote.

I would say the stations would upgrade the studio first and another 6 months or year down the road, put a new remote truck in the mix, or as the current equipment reaches its end of life, upgrade it with a HD equivilent

js6751

WITI6fan

I assume so.

And has anyone noticed how clear and sharp WITI's studio video has been lately? The color and clarity is much better than it has been before.

basshive

So our chance to see Pip and Tim "Bad Sweater Guy" Van Vooren in HD might soon be upon us?! Jen I could stand to look at :D
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

js6751

I have noticed some clearer studio video on their newscasts, which is much better than what it has been in the past. Do you think they're using newer cameras or something? Hopefully a sign of things to come!