• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

New TWC Channel : 516

Started by duncantuna, Thursday Sep 04, 2008, 09:13:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duncantuna

Today, I noticed Channel 516 was flipped on TWC.  I can tune it, but it was dark this morning.  It's the 36.1 PBS channel in Milwaukee.

As far as I know .. 36.1 is NOT HD.  One wonders why TWC put it in the 500-550 range, all of which are HD.    

Plus, 550-559 are all PBS's feeds.  Why they wouldn't stick 36.1 in the middle there (there are openings) is beyond me.

Snard

I guess to maintain some sort of symmetry with the current "basic" channel numbers, since channel 16 = WMTV

For some time now, TWC's channel lineup has listed 507 as WMLW, but I've never been able to tune it. (And channel 7 is the same station in the basic section)

There are obviously other pairs of channels that don't map to each other (i.e. History, National Geographic) but I expect TWC to continue shuffling the numbers around.

Quote from: duncantuna;47980Today, I noticed Channel 516 was flipped on TWC.  I can tune it, but it was dark this morning.  It's the 36.1 PBS channel in Milwaukee.

As far as I know .. 36.1 is NOT HD.  One wonders why TWC put it in the 500-550 range, all of which are HD.    

Plus, 550-559 are all PBS's feeds.  Why they wouldn't stick 36.1 in the middle there (there are openings) is beyond me.
- Mike Shawaluk

Samsung UN46D6000
Philips 40PFL4706/F7B

Now with Windows Media Center and HDHomeRun Prime!

duncantuna

I guess my question is .. what will be the difference between TWC's channel 16, and 516?  They'll both be broadcasting the same shows.   Will the format somehow be different, since 500-550 is in TWC's HD range?

Clearly, when Feb rolls around, and they turn off 10/36 analog signals, channel 10/16 on TWC will start broadcasting 10.1 and 36.1's stuff.

Hmm.  Or will they?  10.1 is HD, which couldn't go on TWC's channel 10.

LoadStar

Quote from: duncantuna;48003I guess my question is .. what will be the difference between TWC's channel 16, and 516?  They'll both be broadcasting the same shows.   Will the format somehow be different, since 500-550 is in TWC's HD range?
They will be broadcasting the same shows. One will just be in digital, and as such have a clearer picture (less noise).

QuoteClearly, when Feb rolls around, and they turn off 10/36 analog signals, channel 10/16 on TWC will start broadcasting 10.1 and 36.1's stuff.

Hmm.  Or will they?  10.1 is HD, which couldn't go on TWC's channel 10.
Sure it could, and yes, they will.

During widescreen programming, TWC can either crop the left and right portions of the image to cut it down to a 4:3 image, or they could pad it out with letterboxing.

(Think of those with the Coupon Eligible Converter Boxes, that are designed for standard resolution, 4:3 televisions. They can still receive the HD transmissions, the box just steps down the resolution and does the letterboxing or cropping automatically.)

John L

Quote from: LoadStar;48007(Think of those with the Coupon Eligible Converter Boxes, that are designed for standard resolution, 4:3 televisions. They can still receive the HD transmissions, the box just steps down the resolution and does the letterboxing or cropping automatically.)

Owners who buy these boxes will have options on how they want to set the video. I perfer the Letterboxing.

LoadStar

Quote from: John L;48019Owners who buy these boxes will have options on how they want to set the video. I perfer the Letterboxing.

True enough. I was just using it as an example of how a receiver can take a widescreen HD broadcast and convert it to a 4:3 ratio SD suitable image.

gparris

My guess is that as TWC migrates digital, non-HD based channels like this one, it will fill up the 500-range of channel offerings.

Sad to say, but this could confuse HD subs unknowingly thinking this is an HD channel, like 507 is for some TWC subs for some areas that have this one, which is a digital, but not HD channel.:(

cnjbucks

Found this at the bottom of my bill:

Milwaukee Public Television recently notified TWC that they will no
longer be carrying MPTV Kids on channel 552, effective Monday,
September 1, 2008. As a result, MPTV Jazz will be placed on channel
552. In addition, the following channels will be added to TWC's
digital line-up on Wednesday, September 3, 2008: MPTV-Digital-36 on
channel 516; MPTV Weather on channel 555; and MPTV Traffic on channel
556. MPTV Extra on Channel 554 will be renamed MPTV Classical.

gparris

cnjbucks: Thanks, that explains a lot, but that confirms the digital NON-HD channel addition.

-I just hope it isn't eating too much bandwidth, like SD channels in the above-99 range aren't supposed to.
These 100 and above TWC channels, digitally-delivered,  do not as it takes a dozen, give or take, SD digitally-delivered channels to use up one analogue channel
(as I understand it).:(

duncantuna

Well, 516 lit up this morning.  

516 and 16 are identical, in every way.  Same format, same content.  Indeed, 516 is clearer than 16.

Here's my question .. All content is delivered twice.  It's first journey is from the broadcaster to TWC's distribution point(s).  It's second, is from there to your house.

While I understand channels 1-99 are analog, and thus fuzzier than 100+, I always figured that the biggest reason a channel would be fuzzy is because it was delivered to TWC fuzzy, not that TWC fuzzed it up on its way to your house.

I assume that to be true, since you can look at analog channel 3 (TNT) and it's pretty clear.  Channel 16 is total horsecrap.   Since channel 3 and 16 both take the same route to your house from TWC, I assume that's not the issue.  When TWC receives TNT, they get a pretty clear signal before they send it to your house.  When TWC receives PBS36, it's already crappy.

So .. TWC now has two ways of redistributing channel 36 (PBS).  They currently take 36 analog and shove it down 16 analog.  They take 36.1 and shoot it down 516. (I would guess)

Why not just take 36.1 and shoot it down TWC 16?   Wouldn't that eliminate any need for 516?   Sure, 516 is delivered digitally from TWC .. but you could do that with a ton of other channels, too.

John L

Quote from: duncantuna;48058Well, 516 lit up this morning.  

516 and 16 are identical, in every way.  Same format, same content.  Indeed, 516 is clearer than 16.

Here's my question .. All content is delivered twice.  It's first journey is from the broadcaster to TWC's distribution point(s).  It's second, is from there to your house.

While I understand channels 1-99 are analog, and thus fuzzier than 100+, I always figured that the biggest reason a channel would be fuzzy is because it was delivered to TWC fuzzy, not that TWC fuzzed it up on its way to your house.

I assume that to be true, since you can look at analog channel 3 (TNT) and it's pretty clear.  Channel 16 is total horsecrap.   Since channel 3 and 16 both take the same route to your house from TWC, I assume that's not the issue.  When TWC receives TNT, they get a pretty clear signal before they send it to your house.  When TWC receives PBS36, it's already crappy.

So .. TWC now has two ways of redistributing channel 36 (PBS).  They currently take 36 analog and shove it down 16 analog.  They take 36.1 and shoot it down 516. (I would guess)

Why not just take 36.1 and shoot it down TWC 16?   Wouldn't that eliminate any need for 516?   Sure, 516 is delivered digitally from TWC .. but you could do that with a ton of other channels, too.

I agree, and eventually TWC will be forced to shoot 36.1 down TWC 16 if they haven't done so yet.  WVCY-30 analog is being shot down TWC 23, while same applies with 18 and 24.   Eventually they will have to convert all those from their analog transmissions to their digital transmissions sometime between NOW and February 17th. Otherwise if they don't, come February 17th us TWC subscribers will no longer receive channels 10, 18, 24, 30, and 36...they will sit there BLACK!

I am sure TWC realizes this and eventually do something about it soon.

As for them to get TNT's or other cable channels like USA, MTV, TBS, WGN, etc.. they receive them digitally off satellite and re-distribute analog them over cable, and digital for digital services.

Eventually in time TWC's Digital Services will be included in basic cable rates and no longer be offered as an extra service. This has to be done because in 2012 TWC will be discontinuing the analog channels 1-99.  If by then you still using an analog cable ready TV on TWC and haven't had no need for a box like right now, eventually with the change in 2012 you will have to get a special cable box to continue watching channels on TWC.

-John L.

LoadStar

Quote from: gparris;48049My guess is that as TWC migrates digital, non-HD based channels like this one, it will fill up the 500-range of channel offerings.

Sad to say, but this could confuse HD subs unknowingly thinking this is an HD channel, like 507 is for some TWC subs for some areas that have this one, which is a digital, but not HD channel.:(

As I've argued in the past, there is no such thing as an HD channel. There are _digital_ channels that may carry HD programming, but that doesn't make them HD channels. Just means they carry HD programs. :)

(And yes, I know, I'm going up against how some, including TWC, refer to certain channels; I'm right and they're wrong. :D)

LoadStar

Quote from: John L;48059This has to be done because in 2012 TWC will be discontinuing the analog channels 1-99.

Not necessarily true. Analog cable will likely go away sometime before then, but it isn't guaranteed like you say. There is no mandatory sunset for analog cable.

The only rule that currently applies to cable is that they must continue to retransmit OTA stations in analog until 2012, or until they switch fully to digital transmission, whichever comes first.

If a cable provider wanted to, they could continue to transmit in analog forever. There is absolutely no one that could or would stop them from doing so... the FCC doesn't have jurisdiction over that.