• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

OTA Installation

Started by jeaves79, Thursday Jul 17, 2008, 03:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeaves79

Ok, so I am really tempted to bite the bullet and get the nice new D* OTA receiver for my HD-DVR but I need to have an OTA antenna installed.  i have already tried some indoor ones that didn't work at all, can someone help me by reccommending a decent installer in the Kenosha area and a good outdoor antenna that won't kill my wallet?  

Is there a way that I can be sure that an OTA antenna will receive milwaukee stations?

I am really looking for CBS in HD and I am hoping that one of the PBS stations that will be picked up is the one that TWC has with all of the childrens shows.  or would it just be better to see if Jim Hall sucks it up and lets D* boradcast CBS in HD by years end.

troyriley

Even if D* did supply customers with 58 in HD, OTA is the best way to go and usually the only way to receive the subchannels. Picking up the stations OTA won't be a problem from the Kenosha area with a good outdoor antenna. Indoor antennas are very unreliable, especially with digital stations.

I don't know of any installers I could recommend, but a lot of satellite installers also install rooftop antennas. Check the phone book for that. Are you able to install one yourself? If you're able to do that, your wallet will take less of a beating.

I would suggest the Radio Shack u75r, available for $30. I have one mounted on my two-story house with a tripod from Genoa City, 46 miles away. Kenosha is about 35 miles away, so you're probably in better shape than I am. The only thing about that antenna is that it is a UHF-only antenna. The only station broadcast on VHF is PBS channel 10 (digital broadcast on channel 8). You expressed interest in receiving the subchannels from that, so you may want to consider a UHF/VHF combo, or two separate UHF and VHF antennas. However, I am able to pick up channel 10 with an amplifier (Magnavox from Menard's) with the u75r. You could try that and return it if it doesn't meet your needs, and then try a UHF/VHF combo. Radio Shack does have a good return policy.

basshive

Jeaves,

Without knowing your exact location your are anywhere from 30-40 miles from the Milwaukee transmissions. You are almost equally as far from many stations in Illinois. Do not forget if you get a new D* hddvr you need to order the AM-21 as the new models (HR-21) do not have an OTA tuner.

Like Troy said, the PBS 10.x stations are VHF. That said I have use 2 different supposed UHF only antennas and picked up 10. and the substations without an issue.

I would recommend the channel master 4228 or 4221. If you were interested in Chicago/Illinois locals add a rotator to the mix. http://www.solidsignal.com/channelmaster_antenna_chart.asp

Unless you have quams with being on your roof I think you could install this on your own, OR throw 40-50$ at your D* installer to see if they will put it up while on your roof. If you have the tri-pod ready I would be shocked if they wouldn't be willing to throw it up and drop the line down for you.

For more details about your distance from the locals check out -

http://www.tvfool.com
http://www.antennaweb.org
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

JohnRacine

jeaves

I live at Hwy 31 and KR, probably just north of you.  I have the HR-21 with the AM-21.  I ordered DirecTV in May...they didn't have any HR-20's available and so did not charge me for the AM-21 add on for OTA channel reception.  It came in the mail a few days later and all I had to do was plug it in and do a quick scan.  The AM-21 is an excellent/sensitive tuner.  I have a $20 Radio Shack antenna (no amplifier) on a small tripod, just above my roof line.  I leave it pointed at Chicago.  All Milwaukee channels come in just fine off the back of the little antenna.  I also receive all channels from Chicago (not WBBM 2) and some from South Bend, Indiana.

The only problem that I've ever experienced with the AM-21 is during playback of a recorded OTA program...the unit is slow to enter the FF mode and slow to return to the PLAY mode.  But, that is a very minor issue.  Otherwise, I love it.

You may find that you will no longer watch Milwaukee TV when there is any type of weather in the area...Chicago stations do not put banners up nor do they shrink the screen.  They tend to just put a tiny symbol in the corner for a few seconds every 15 minutes or so, and then take it away.  They leave it up to us viewers to seek out the details on our own.  This is far superior to what the Milwaukee channels do.  Good luck and be very careful on your roof if you go up there.

troyriley

Quote from: JohnRacine;47163jeaves
You may find that you will no longer watch Milwaukee TV when there is any type of weather in the area...Chicago stations do not put banners up nor do they shrink the screen.  They tend to just put a tiny symbol in the corner for a few seconds every 15 minutes or so, and then take it away.  They leave it up to us viewers to seek out the details on our own.  This is far superior to what the Milwaukee channels do.  Good luck and be very careful on your roof if you go up there.

That's probably when you'll want to watch Milwaukee stations the most... when there's weather in the area. If there's a tornado heading my way, I'd want to know about it. I would hate to not be prepared because I was watching out-of-town channels. You'll also need the local Milwaukee channels for the local news.

But, I do agree that our local channels need to to a better job with the weather bulletins. A small overlay will do. Weather is such a ratings booster in our market, and that becomes a priority over regular programming.

JohnRacine

troyriley

You don't have to worry about not getting severe weather notices when watching Chicago channels...they include weather info for Racine/Kenosha counties (but not for Milwaukee).

As soon as I see the tiny, transparent logo displayed in the corner, I always listen to my NOAA weather radio for details.  Or, I can tune to a Milwaukee channel for a moment to see if any weather is threatening my neighborhood.