• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

technical question

Started by WITI6fan, Saturday Aug 02, 2008, 12:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WITI6fan

I recently purchased a x4 "digital ready" splitter in order to have my TV, VCR and USB tuner connected at the same time. Now the USB tuner won't get a signal for any of the DTV channels, even though it worked before the splitter was added. The analog channels still work on the analog TV and on the USB tuner.

I'm guessing this is because the line coming in is split in 3 in the basement, and then split again in this room. Do I need to buy a amplifier to get the DTV channels to work in here again?

Bebop

Might be the splitter, You don't need any digital ready splitter. It's just a selling gimmick. Or you bought something that was meant for satellite signal. I have my OTA splitted into 4 then 2 without problem.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

cdnelson

An amplifier might help...we split the signal going to our box, then directly into the TV (for those times when there were 3 things on), and our signals on the box went downhill.

Come to find out the signal strength coming into our building wasn't that hot to begin with, TWC being oh-so-helpful installed an amp to increase the signal back to them, but wanted to charge me for an incoming one.

I bought it on Amazon, and installed it myself.  I have no problems now.

mhz40

Quote from: WITI6fan;47397I recently purchased a x4 "digital ready" splitter in order to have my TV, VCR and USB tuner connected at the same time. Now the USB tuner won't get a signal for any of the DTV channels, even though it worked before the splitter was added. The analog channels still work on the analog TV and on the USB tuner.

I'm guessing this is because the line coming in is split in 3 in the basement, and then split again in this room. Do I need to buy a amplifier to get the DTV channels to work in here again?

An amp in the price range you are willing to spend is not worth it... $30.
Without any details, its hard to tell whats going on with your setup, but you could try the following.

Replace the 4-way splitter in the room with a 2-way.
Use one port to feed your USB tuner... see if it works.
If yes:
Use the second port to feed another 2-way splitter.
Feed your TV & VCR with those two ports.

If no:
Go ahead with the steps above and check the following as well...
I'm assuming the 3-way split in the basement is actually a 4-way splitter.  3-ways are rare.  If it is a 3-way, sometimes one port has less loss than the other 2.  The losses are stamped on the ports.  Make sure the port with the lowest loss feeds the room with all the feeds you are attempting to configure.
If it's a 4-way, see if there is one lead you can do without and put in a 2-way.

Making both of these changes (in the equipment room and basement) will increase your signal level to the USB tuner by 7dB, which is about what you originally lost by adding that 4-way splitter... and you won't add all the distortions that come with a cheap amp.
Good luck!