News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC Letter

Started by greenskingIV, Tuesday Jul 01, 2008, 04:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gparris

Quote from: nick3092;47069I'm a disgruntled TW customer who is also jealous of other markets and providers with more HD.  But, lets give them a little slack here.  Not much, just a little.

If you think about it, one of the benefits of being last in the SDV roll out is hopefully Milwaukee has learned from any issues that have occurred (if any have) in other markets.  So if anything, their delay should ease your worries of not viewing these channels.  :D

Exactly, that is what I am hoping for, so now all TWC Milwaukeeland has to do is ADD those couple dozen or so missing HD channels other TWC locations DO have already!

Navigator has issues, but the MDN seems to work well enough and quicker than I thought it would, at least for now, so maybe TWC figured it out until a newer SA (Cisco Systems) box is available and less buggy.;)

mikeal21

Quote from: greenskingIV;47028I got a dreaded letter from TW telling me my cable card will no longer be able to tune in a number of channels starting July 30th if I don't get a box. TW says they are rolling out Switched Digital Video and they don't have a Tuning Adapter to offer but hope to have one later this year. Yeah like that is going to happen. So without a cable box I will no longer be able to view ESPN2 HD, Fox Sports HD, Universal HD, TBS HD, HGTV HD, National Geographic HD, Discovery HD Theatre, A&E HD, MOJO, HD NET, HD Net Movies. This is nice real nice.

I find myself exactly in that position. What gets me is Congress mandated cable companies to offer cable cards. Seems maybe there aren't enough users though, few manufacturers even offer cable card ready equipment. Not the point but its too bad, because it seems TWC doesn't charge as much now for there equipment  as before. The $15 a month for a DVR prompted me to buy my own, and use a cable card.
            It's my intention to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. To which TWC is a member, they will respond. I intend to ask for free converter box until they have rectified  this problem.
            I'd encourage everyone in this boat to do so! Only then will there be action taken. Believe it!   When they made ESPN2HD available, but not for cable card users, I complained and got free sports package. They just started billing for a couple months ago, but we like like anyway. You think they would learn the value of positive business practices.
             It takes less time at BBB than this Blog........

MDR

Cord Cutter

ChannelMaster DVR+
Samsung Ln40b550 HDTV
Samsung Ln32a550 HDTV
ONKYO TX-NR737 Rcvr
Sony SA WCT100 Soundbar
Oppo BDP83 Bluray
Oppo BDP93 Bluray
Twc Broadband
T-Mobile Phone

OlsonNet

Quote from: MDR;47162Maybe some hope for you?

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6579511.html?nid=4262

MDR

Good, but I'm guessing the cable companies will not be in any rush to get these to customers. But since it's in TiVo's best interest to get them out, maybe they can push these through.

I was never able to get any special deal for a box to use until the adapters are ready - I called 4 times, spoke to 4 different people, 2 had no idea what I was talking about and the other 2 would not offer anything beyond "you can rent a box...", so I either have to pay to rent one or just do without those channels until the adapter is out.

wireblsam

Cable Card folks....

Seeing that the date in the letter (July 30) has passed, can you still see the channels or are they not able to be viewed ?

gparris

Yes indeed, did TWC Milwaukee do the "deed" and rid cablecard users of these HD channels by implementing SDV once and for all?
If so, then locally, TWC is about to add some HD channels, hopefully..and soon.

The local CC I visit had Discovery HD, Movie Channel HD and StarzHD channels listed. amongst the ones we do already get, in there endcap display, but in the past they have been wrong, so I asked about it.
Even though there is a TWC office nearby, I asked them about the "error" and they said it was accurate.
So then I asked two more of the full time clerks and both said that is what they were told for local rollout, but TWC could change their minds, too.

-No big surprise on that one!:rolleyes:

nick3092

Quote from: wireblsam;47376Cable Card folks....

Seeing that the date in the letter (July 30) has passed, can you still see the channels or are they not able to be viewed ?

I don't have a cable card, but i don't believe the change went in for 2 reasons.

1. On page 21 of the diagnostics screen (MDN) it lists SDB transmissions and receives.  The receives never go up when surfing these channels.  However they do go up every time you go to one of the 18xx test channels.

2. On page 23 of the diags, for the channel type on the 188xx channels, it says SDB.  It does not for the channels that were supposed to change yesterday.

greenskingIV

I have a cable card and I am still getting all the channels that Time Warner said I would not get. I'm glad I didnt go get a cable box.

gparris

Quote from: greenskingIV;47428I have a cable card and I am still getting all the channels that Time Warner said I would not get. I'm glad I didnt go get a cable box.

Thanks for reporting in very much.:wave:

-That means, however, those TWC engineers are STILL not ready with the SDV vs. Green Bay with its 13 more HD channels vs. our location with NO additions!

Yes, better to have SDV done right, but what is the hold up, I wonder?:huh?:

kevbeck122

Still no SDV for the channels they said would be... only the test channels in the high 1800s.

gparris

As for me, I would never complain (much) if TWC locally would offer the HD channels Green Bay gets now plus the NBC/Universal HD channels available (USAHD, Sci-FiHD, etc.) including the Starz HD channels TWC offers in other locations already (since I subscribe to these) it would enough for me, at their high prices!:D

As for SDV implementation to get more HD channel space...what the heck is  happening, anyway?
Question: Are the TWC "engineers" locally not doing their jobs, having more difficulties than anticpated or just not caring to adhere to a timetable anymore?:huh?:

greenskingIV

Still no SDV, my cable card is still getting all the channels

gparris

Quote from: greenskingIV;47627Still no SDV, my cable card is still getting all the channels

Thanks, bad news, in a way, as this means the TWC Milwaukee engineers are either not doing their jobs, cannot understand what is going on, failed to understand what they were doing to implement SDV or are not adhering to the proposed timetable for SDV rollout.
-Maybe the TWC Milwaukee engineers should be replaced or work with the Green Bay area SDV engineers, as they seem to make it work for them...right?:huh?:

How can a big city like Milwaukee keep a franchise like TWC when it cannot do the job (HD channel implementation) as more and more HD/flat panel sets are being bought every day and their competition Directv/Dishnetwork/U-Verse are breathing down TWC Milwaukee's neck more and more, too?

greenskingIV

Time Warner called me today telling me that after today my cable card would not get the channels that they told me about in the letter. They offered me a cable box and I don't have to pay rent on it for the first month and they will install it for free...boy TW sure is generous aren't they:(

gparris

Well, are you still getting all your HD channels today with your Cablecard?