• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

m: Comcast, Big Ten Network nearing truce

Started by RLJSlick, Monday Jun 16, 2008, 08:17:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RLJSlick

The Chicago Tribune has learned that Comcast (CMCSA) and the Big Ten Network are nearing an announcement that the two will create a long-term partnership, putting aside years of bitter discussions. Under terms of the prospective deal, which could be completed and unveiled this week, the number of homes that can access the BTN will be doubled to 55M from 30M. Officials hope the deal will also provide a framework for negotiations with other cable carriers such as Time Warner

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/cs-080615-big-ten-network-comcast,0,670552.story
Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System

Sparkman87

leprechaunshawn

Maybe now that one of the big cable companies has agreed with BTN maybe this will start a trend with the cable companies agreeing with BTN and NFL Network.  

Of course, dont hold your breath waiting for TWC to be the first one to sign on with both of these networks.

tencom

Good! Thanks to Comcast we soon will be enjoying another big price increase  for another useless channel to most viewers. Just think of it with CBS the owner of channels 18  and  24 and others demanding more revenue, for carriage of their signals we will soon be seeing cable/satellite prices beyond the reach of  most people, all to the delight of OTA broadcasters, who will get increased ratings, and therefore more profits, and laugh all the way to the bank, with there millions of dollars

Talos4

Quote from: tencom;46926Good! Thanks to Comcast we soon will be enjoying another big price increase  for another useless channel to most viewers. Just think of it with CBS the owner of channels 18  and  24 and others demanding more revenue, for carriage of their signals we will soon be seeing cable/satellite prices beyond the reach of  most people, all to the delight of OTA broadcasters, who will get increased ratings, and therefore more profits, and laugh all the way to the bank, with there millions of dollars

While I understand that's your opinion, and entitled to it, I think you seriously underestimate the number of potential viewers of that channel within Comcasts subscriber area.

You've made the same mistake TWC & Comcast did. "very few people will actually want this channel"  

This is a Big Ten state. We're not talking about the Big East Network, the WAC Network etc.

Sports, while it may not be your preference in programming is definitely not useless and the cable giants know this could be a potential cash cow, they're holding out for as much as they can get from the network.

If Comcast wasn't carrying YOUR favorite channel, you'd be annoyed too. And I would be right here calling it useless waste of bandwidth ;)

tencom

Quote from: Talos4;46933While I understand that's your opinion, and entitled to it, I think you seriously underestimate the number of potential viewers of that channel within Comcasts subscriber area.

You've made the same mistake TWC & Comcast did. "very few people will actually want this channel"  

This is a Big Ten state. We're not talking about the Big East Network, the WAC Network etc.

Sports, while it may not be your preference in programming is definitely not useless and the cable giants know this could be a potential cash cow, they're holding out for as much as they can get from the network.

If Comcast wasn't carrying YOUR favorite channel, you'd be annoyed too. And I would be right here calling it useless waste of bandwidth ;)

Why won't the BIG TEN NETWORK let the viewers have a choice on the matter. Of course we all  know why! Because  Rubert Murdochs BTN  knows  few would
choose to take the channel therefore it has to be foisted upon us.
As for me with the last price increase  our household was considering dropping the service because in our opinion Cable/Satellite programming is a poor value for the money. And probably reconsider, with the next price increase which will happen again and again!

Andrew

BTN and NFLN are not year round channels by any stretch of the imagination.  If the networks didn't exist, there would be more chance that the games would be on another, available channel.

LoadStar

Quote from: tencom;46939Why won't the BIG TEN NETWORK let the viewers have a choice on the matter. Of course we all  know why! Because  Rubert Murdochs BTN  knows  few would
choose to take the channel therefore it has to be foisted upon us.
As for me with the last price increase  our household was considering dropping the service because in our opinion Cable/Satellite programming is a poor value for the money. And probably reconsider, with the next price increase which will happen again and again!

That's just it. BTN would've been on every cable system by this point, had they allowed cable companies to put it in a sports tier along with all the other specialty sports networks. That's where Comcast wanted to put it, that's where TWC wants to put it. BTN held out, and therefore it's my opinion that the blame rests solely and exclusively on them.