• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

FCC OKs WITI sale

Started by PaulKTF, Sunday Jun 15, 2008, 08:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drummerboy

This may seem like a stupid question but would they remain a Fox affiliate or go the way of WCGV (B rated programming)?
It would really suck if Fox went bye bye.
Drummerboy, Computer & Network Engineer
Waukesha

LoadStar

I'm fairly certain that retaining the affiliation was a part of the terms of sale.

Besides, I can't see WITI giving up the affiliation, no matter who owns the station. Also, from the "ice skating on the lakes of Hades" category, even if WITI were to cough up the affiliation, someone else would snap it up in nanoseconds (either Weigel or Sinclair).

John L

Quote from: LoadStar;46865I'm fairly certain that retaining the affiliation was a part of the terms of sale.

Besides, I can't see WITI giving up the affiliation, no matter who owns the station. Also, from the "ice skating on the lakes of Hades" category, even if WITI were to cough up the affiliation, someone else would snap it up in nanoseconds (either Weigel or Sinclair).

OH PLEASE!!!!:eek:   Giving up the Fox Network affiliation would mean losing the rights to broadcast most Green Bay Packer Football games which an average of 50% of the viewing area tunes in. That is great revenue.  WITI-TV would not be doing themselves a favor giving up Fox.

If that were to happen, I would expect WTMJ-TV or WISN-TV go for the chance to go Fox.

-John L.

LoadStar

Quote from: John L;46987OH PLEASE!!!!:eek:   Giving up the Fox Network affiliation would mean losing the rights to broadcast most Green Bay Packer Football games which an average of 50% of the viewing area tunes in. That is great revenue.  WITI-TV would not be doing themselves a favor giving up Fox.

If that were to happen, I would expect WTMJ-TV or WISN-TV go for the chance to go Fox.

-John L.

Going from ABC to FOX? That's less likely than WITI willingly giving up the FOX affiliation (as in - not even remotely likely). I don't even see NBC to FOX being even likely. No matter how badly NBC does, it's still got a history and prestige that FOX just doesn't have.

FOX is the kind of network that, if Journal or Hearst-Argyle were to own a second station in the area, they'd run on that, but no way in HELL would it displace either NBC or ABC.

Sinclair would probably love to have the chance to bring FOX back to 24 - and kick MyNetTV to the door in the process. Similarly, I'd imagine that Weigel, who now owns three stations with only one having a major network affiliation, could probably easily find a home for FOX on one of them.

(Of course, to say again - there isn't a chance in hell that FOX will leave WITI, so discussion of it is really quite silly. :))

Irish

Quote from: Drummerboy;46863This may seem like a stupid question but would they remain a Fox affiliate or go the way of WCGV (B rated programming)?
It would really suck if Fox went bye bye.

Not a chance in hell. FOX affiliations are highly coveted, as they are a highly-rated network with NFL games (i.e. Packers), stuff like "American Idol" and lots of local avails (allowing for local and syndicated programming and lots of local news). FOX affiliates tend to be highly profitable. So much so that ABC, NBC and CBS affiliates have switched over in the past. I can't even imagine a scenario where a station would willingly give up a FOX affiliation.

FOX is no longer an obscure low-tier network. We're not talking MNTV here.

jjallou

Quote from: Irish;47012FOX is no longer an obscure low-tier network. We're not talking MNTV here.

MNTV (or MyNetworkTV) stands a good chance of being a success since it is part of and run by the FOX network. When FOX first started they took chances on the types of programming they ran. Some shows worked while others failed and FOX is doing the same with MNTV. The telenovelas that MNTV started out with are a big hit in other countries but as FOX found out what works elsewhere doesn't always work here in the U.S. Landing Smackdown for Friday nights will be a big help for MNTV. I guess it can only get better.