• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

DTV Pal converter now available.

Started by jkane, Friday Jun 27, 2008, 01:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkane

Echostar (Dish Network) finally started selling their DTV Pal boxes yesterday.  They can be found at dtvpal.com.  They are $59 instead of $40, and they add an $8 shipping charge on top of it.  Actually, over the past two days, the price has flucuated by $1 either way depending on what time I looked at the web page!

If you are a current Dish Network customer, the order will fail when you submit if you have your correct address to ship it to.  There will be a message to call a number and order.  I can't say why exactly, but there is plenty of speculation about the reason.  I called and ordered the two for my Dad and they are supposed to ship in 5-7 days.  We'll see what happens.

The DTV Pal is a smaller rebranded version of the TR-40 which was the $40 model Dish originally said would be eligable for the coupon.  The TR-40 is still not available anywhere.  A little research indicates that Sling Media has taken that model on and renumbered it.  It does not appear to be eligable for the coupon after that change, but who knows what will happen next month!  No one really knows if the functionality is different, but the reviewers couldn't find a difference.  Dish remains silent on any difference or why the price is different between them.

The TR-50, which will have a recording capability, is still a mystery.  No shipping date nor price has been publically released.  That is the model I am waiting for!

duncantuna

Is there something particlularily special about the dtvpal box?   Or is it just another one of the many?

I ask because my in-laws need a converter box for their rabbit eared TV .. there are dozens on the market now, and besides their basic function, which they all do, what "good features" do you look for in a converter box?

The TR-50 with recording possibilities sounds interesting, no doubt.  Any subscription necessary for the EPG?

troyriley

Quote from: duncantuna;47002Is there something particlularily special about the dtvpal box?   Or is it just another one of the many?

I ask because my in-laws need a converter box for their rabbit eared TV .. there are dozens on the market now, and besides their basic function, which they all do, what "good features" do you look for in a converter box?

There was much anticipation for the DTVpal because originally, it was going to be listed at $40. To their credit, I'm not sure if Echostar (Dish Network) ever came out publicly and said that, but that price was being reported by several web sites and publications. Now that it's priced at $60 (plus shipping), I think the excitement for that converter may have taken a hit. One other thing that sets the DTVpal apart from most other boxes is the timer, which can be used in conjunction with a VCR. Also, it does have analog pass-through, but there has been an increase in the number of converters that have that feature.

Does anyone know if Dish Network is offering a special price for Dish customers? From what I can tell, the price is the same whether you're a customer or you're not.

LoadStar

Quote from: jkane;46998The DTV Pal is a smaller rebranded version of the TR-40 which was the $40 model Dish originally said would be eligable for the coupon.  The TR-40 is still not available anywhere.  A little research indicates that Sling Media has taken that model on and renumbered it.  It does not appear to be eligable for the coupon after that change, but who knows what will happen next month!

The website for this product does say that it is coupon eligible:
QuoteGreat news! DTVPal is an approved converter box and eligible for $40 off with your government coupon.

jkane

The boxes arrived very fast.  I was at my Dad's (Central Wi) last week and installed it.  Interface is nice.  Same as most Dish receivers.  The guide data comes from the station tiself as all digital will be.  No EPG feed needed.

The remote sucks!  It is only for the receiver.  Can't even turn the TV on and off with it.  I haven't looked at finding any remote that will control it instead.  I wold guess a Harmony will soon if not already.  My Dad's wife was getting mad at me as I tried to explain to her how to change the channel to 3 with one remote and then use this remote to get control of the receiver.

They have a split where locals come from Eau Claire and Wausau.  With Analog, the can point the antenna to Wausau, and get all three (CBS, ABC, and NBC) with Eau  Claire coming off the back side.  But it doesn't work with the digital signal.  Also, channel 7 in Wausau didn't show up.  Not sure why yet.  Didn't look into if they are low power, or just not there yet.  They did get 9 and 20 out of Wausua and 13 from Eau Claire (after swinging the antenna that direction).