• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

High Speed Internet Options

Started by greg_brady, Monday Jun 09, 2008, 04:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg_brady

I'll be moving into the Milwaukee/Tosa area in the next few weeks. I've already canceled my Time Warner cable in favor of OTA.  What are my options for high speed internet?

I know I can stay with RoadRunner for around $35 after taxes/fees.  I think AT&T has dsl in my neighborhood but I'm not too familiar with them or any other DSL offering.

Can anyone make a recommendation for me?  I do not download many large files but without cable television, I may dabble in torrents a little more.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Bebop

Unless you bundle ATT services, RR is much cheaper ala cart.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

steve053

Quote from: Bebop;46774Unless you bundle ATT services, RR is much cheaper ala cart.

If U-Verse is offered in your neighborhood you can get 10 meg down AT&T for ~ $36/month.  I don't believe that you need to bundle phone and/or tv w/ internet.

Personally I've had problems w/ RR not even coming close to the advertised speeds and far short of my 4 meg down TDS DSL speed (and I had the turbo package w/ 15 meg down).  I'm in the process of switching to AT&T for their greater throughput and cheaper service (as compared to TDS).

LoadStar

Quote from: steve053;46776If U-Verse is offered in your neighborhood you can get 10 meg down AT&T for ~ $36/month.  I don't believe that you need to bundle phone and/or tv w/ internet.

As far as I know, this is incorrect. You cannot get U-Verse Internet without U-Verse TV. AT&T will offer you standard DSL instead.

TPK

Quote from: LoadStar;46778As far as I know, this is incorrect. You cannot get U-Verse Internet without U-Verse TV. AT&T will offer you standard DSL instead.

Also:

Max internet (the one with the 10 meg down, 1.5 Meg up) for u-verse costs $55/month, as opposed to the "express" internet (the lowest tier, 1.5 Meg down 1 Meg up) which costs $25/month...

Kinda pricey, but it works well...

As far as I know its only possible to get the u-verse internet with a u-verse television package...

steve053

Quote from: LoadStar;46778As far as I know, this is incorrect. You cannot get U-Verse Internet without U-Verse TV. AT&T will offer you standard DSL instead.

I was in the AT&T Brookfield store on Bluemound on Tuesday June 3rd and was told by a sales rep (can't recall his name, but have his card at home) that I was able to receive the 10 meg down internet package for under $50.  I specifically asked if I had to bundle this with the U-Verse package and he said "No".  I was/am looking to switch phone and internet only and he said it wasn't a problem.

Now it might be a different story when I actually sign the contract.

kevbeck122

Quote from: steve053;46776If U-Verse is offered in your neighborhood you can get 10 meg down AT&T for ~ $36/month.  I don't believe that you need to bundle phone and/or tv w/ internet.

I'd love to have that.. I don't know how it's possible though when their dry loop 6meg ADSL service is 40/month.  I believe the 10meg is 55 a month.