• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Do you like beer

Started by jkane, Thursday May 29, 2008, 09:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkane

If you do, then I suggest you go to the World Of Beer Festival at the Schwabenhof in Menomonee Falls on Saturday June 7th.  It is sponsered by the Milwaukee Beer Barons.  Half of the proceeds go to the Milwaukee Museum of Beer and Brewing.

For more information, go to:
http://www.beerbarons.org/events/wob/index.html

We have over 150 beers for your tasting enjoyment!  There will be homebrewing demonstrations.  New this year is a mini Mead fest.  Mead is fermented Honey. Mmmmm!

I am a festival volunteer coordinator.  If you want free admission and a "staff" t-shirt, and are willing to spend half of your time pouring beer for others, PM me.  We need some more helpers.

If you do go, stop by and say Hi.  I will be the fat guy who is frazzled and wearing a utilikilt.  OK, so there will be a few others wearing kilts, and another 3-4 fat guys who look frazzled.  Just ask around, most people will know who I am.

Bluto

I like beer.  I'm going to see if I can juggle my schedule and attend.

I noticed places like Sprecher did soda samples last year.  Does this mean this event is 'kid friendly'?

Edit:  Nevermind on the kids.  I read a little more....  I still am going to try to juggle the schedule....

John L

This is very interesting!  If I go, I will need someone to at least drive me home.
Course that someone driving me home will not be able to sample or drink any of the beer.

-John L.:(

RLJSlick

That sound really cool. They have something like that near madison also. Man I need to stay at a hotel really close after that one.  :)
Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System

jkane

The Great Taste of the Midwest is the Madison one.  Thousands of people, and sells out the day tickets go on sale!  Our club takes a bus every year from Milwaukee.  I never miss Great Taste.  :D  That is the one that serves more beers than WOB.  But, you won't get the "world" of beers there.  Great Taste is more of a meet and greet for midwest breweries.  WOB is distributors from around the world having beer.  We also have a few of the locals of course too.

jkane

We strongly discourage kids!  We had a couple strollers last year.  Hated to turn the parents away.  It is a 21 or over event.  I don't even bring my own kids.  Very hard to manage who is 21 and who is not when you have a mixed crowd.  With kids in strollers, it was obvious.  :huh?:  I would still prefer to beg parents NOT to bring kids this year!

The soda's are something for designated drivers.  We offer free admission for them.  They get a different color wrist band so the servers know who they are.  Anyone can have soda, we just want to make sure we have something for drivers to drink.

4runnergusto

Bluto

I picked up my tickets.  You'll find me at the Unibroue table.  Mostly.  :)

jkane

Quote from: Bluto;46678I picked up my tickets.  You'll find me at the Unibroue table.  Mostly.  :)

Programs are not available yet, but Unibroue is table 37.  As you walk in, that's the second table in the first row.  

{glug} {cheers} Glug2

Bluto

Ah, the Unibroue's are all limited release.  So I will be moving around a bit.  (Maybe I shouldn't have said anything until I showed up. :) )

So, any recommendations?  There are a lot of beers I've never tried.  As far as styles go, I'm flexible.  Though, I've been leaning towards, Belgians, IPAs, stouts , porters lately....

jkane

We go out of our way to not have bad beers!  The distributers force a couple on us, but with the new rules this year that we can't have donated beers, we have more say when we pay for every swallow!  So I would say they are all good.  From there, it's personal taste.

For me ... I am a mead fan, and the new Mini Mead Fest is where I would hang out.  Also Limited Release.  White Winter is fantastic.  I like the Black Mead, and the Port Style they have.  Not sure exactly what they will serve.  My wfe and I don't have a lot left of our own in the cellar.  Well, not drinkable stuff.  I have 45 gallons of stuff I am not happy about.  But if we do find a case to donate, you might find some Kane's Private Reserve Meads in the Mead corner.  ;-)

BTW:  If you are a beer fest nut like me, the new rules are why prices are going up at festivals.  Used to be a brewery could donate beer.  New enforcement of an old law is changing that.  All festivals have to pay for their beer now.  I guess it makes for a more even playing field across breweries and festivals.

Danimal

In the infamous words of Homer Simpson - "mmmmmmm, beeeeer!!!"

I have been to the beer fest before and it's a shame that I missed it this year.

Bluto

It was a good time.  New Holland Dragon's Milk is one of my new faves.

I had a chance to sample a few of the Winter Winter meads.  Tasty stuff!

A well done job by your group, Jeff.  Already looking forward to next year.