• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Maybe bad news for WVTV

Started by PaulKTF, Saturday May 24, 2008, 08:55:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulKTF

http://www.am1150.ca/news/music/55/721730

Poor Sinclair. They're stuck with affiliates for the two lowest rated networks that nobody seems to be watching. :(
-Paul

LoadStar

The story seems to have expired - what did it say?

PaulKTF

Quote from: LoadStar;46490The story seems to have expired - what did it say?

Oops! Sorry. The gist is that The CW's ratings are in the toilet and one of their financial backers is considering dropping them. Here's a similar article:

http://www.defamer.com.au/2008/05/network_death_watch_underway_as_viewers_advertisers_flee_the_cw-2.html
-Paul

John L

If WVTV losses The CW because it went out of business. They would go back to independent, but only offering Paid 30 minute commercials and both Home Shopping and/or Jewerly TV.  They will end up looking like what WJJA-TV was except HSN and Jewerly channel will be in full HD!

-John L.

:rock:

PaulKTF

Quote from: John L;46542If WVTV losses The CW because it went out of business. They would go back to independent, but only offering Paid 30 minute commercials and both Home Shopping and/or Jewerly TV.  They will end up looking like what WJJA-TV was except HSN and Jewerly channel will be in full HD!

-John L.

:rock:

I sorta doubt that- I'm pretty sure they'd just fill up the former-CW airtime with more syndie stuff. WJJA was just an outlet for infomercials because it brought in a little money and kept things nice and cheap for Joel Kinlow.
-Paul

LoadStar

First: I don't see CW going "out of business." If anything, I would anticipate a radical network overhaul beginning with ousting everyone currently involved in management at CW, and continuing with a brand new network name and imaging package (a la PAX -> ION). (I actually think you might be seeing a hint of that with the relaunch of The WB online... if successful, it might forecast a return to something more inspired by The WB's positioning/marketing for the on-air product).

But, if that were to fail, the immediate changes I'd expect would be a noticeable increase in infomercial load, brokered programming (e.g. religious and sports) and possibly going off air overnights again, or perhaps simulcasting a shopping channel during the VERY late night to early morning hours.

I just don't think there is enough new, quality syndicated programming available on the market to fill up hours, and other local stations have been quick to grab up lots of the nostalgia syndicated programming.

jjallou

Wow! You guys paint a pretty gloomy picture for just the loss of 2 hours a night. Why not bring back the Bowling Show....in HD?

PaulKTF

Quote from: jjallou;46557Wow! You guys paint a pretty gloomy picture for just the loss of 2 hours a night. Why not bring back the Bowling Show....in HD?

I barely watch WVTV. I don't watch the CW stuff, and most of their syndie stuff doesn't interest me. If they dropped the CW stuff, I might tune in to see what they replaced it with.

There's no way WVTV would ever run infomercial blocks. Sinclair is no Joel Kinlow.
-Paul

John L

Quote from: jjallou;46557Wow! You guys paint a pretty gloomy picture for just the loss of 2 hours a night. Why not bring back the Bowling Show....in HD?

I'd go along with that, being a avid bowler myself. I'd be happy to Emcee the show.  It went off the air due to very low ratings which meant lack of advertising. It was on WDJT-58 just before they went CBS in 1994.

-John L.

John L

Quote from: PaulKTF;46558I barely watch WVTV. I don't watch the CW stuff, and most of their syndie stuff doesn't interest me. If they dropped the CW stuff, I might tune in to see what they replaced it with.

There's no way WVTV would ever run infomercial blocks. Sinclair is no Joel Kinlow.

:rof:

They run their share of infomercial blocks during the weekday morning hours.

-John L.

John L

Quote from: LoadStar;46550First: I don't see CW going "out of business." If anything, I would anticipate a radical network overhaul beginning with ousting everyone currently involved in management at CW, and continuing with a brand new network name and imaging package (a la PAX -> ION). (I actually think you might be seeing a hint of that with the relaunch of The WB online... if successful, it might forecast a return to something more inspired by The WB's positioning/marketing for the on-air product).

But, if that were to fail, the immediate changes I'd expect would be a noticeable increase in infomercial load, brokered programming (e.g. religious and sports) and possibly going off air overnights again, or perhaps simulcasting a shopping channel during the VERY late night to early morning hours.

I just don't think there is enough new, quality syndicated programming available on the market to fill up hours, and other local stations have been quick to grab up lots of the nostalgia syndicated programming.

I agree, a noticeable increase in infomercials and possibly Home Shopping.  I hardly doubt they would do a silent period anymore.  I think they pretty much made it a policy to be on the air 24/7. Right now they air movies during those wee hours and have been for awhile. They must be doing fairloy well in ratings to be doing that.  I can see hours filled with Home Shopping Network.

-John L.