• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Iron Man at the iPic

Started by SRW1000, Friday May 02, 2008, 07:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TPK

Quote from: Steve Mann;46293I found this Australian site which lists it at $176,000.  :eek:

Yep, thats what I thought, more than the house ;)....

However you do realize of course thats probably in Australian dollars....  With the current exchange rate it drops the price to only $166,000 :p

Skywalker

What are the sizes of the screens?  I can't stand small theater screens.

SRW1000

Quote from: Skywalker;46312What are the sizes of the screens?  I can't stand small theater screens.
Well, these aren't Ultrascreen size.  The theaters are small, only about 80 - 100 seats.  It felt like the screen was the appropriate size for the number of seats, and didn't fine myself wishing for something bigger.

One of the advantages to the reserved seating is that you can choose how close to the screen you want to be.  We were in the first row of reserved seating, and it seemed fine, but YMMV.

Scott

Mark Strube

Here's a perfect opportunity for me to mention... The Marcus Renaissance in Sturtevant has gone about half-digital, including the 72ft-wide UltraScreen at that location. The listings on Marcus's website tell you which movies are currently being shown in digital.

Also, the Majestic is in transition, I can't tell you anything official on that yet though.

(Unfortunately, Indy 4 isn't being shown digital anywhere in the area, including iPic, Paramount has some crazy restrictions on Indy's digital prints.)

Were the streaks vertical? I've seen that issue at other theatres, it seems to be a bad screen material flaw.

SRW1000

Quote from: Mark Strube;46494Were the streaks vertical? I've seen that issue at other theatres, it seems to be a bad screen material flaw.
Yes, for the most part they were vertical.  I haven't been back to see if it's been fixed yet.

I hope we see some more digital theaters in the area, and I'd also like to see more reserve seating.  Both are really cool features.

Scott

Talos4

Does it look something like this?

[/IMG]

Mark Strube

I dare say that's the Ultra booth at the Renaissance. How'd you manage to get up there?

(I was up there a few times, but that was to fix the surround amps.)

Talos4

You would be correct!

These must be what you worked on

[/IMG]

The roof hatch ladder is right there!!

Mark Strube

Ah gotcha, yep the middle amp is for the surround channels. Kind of curious however... you've been there more recently than I have, looks like they had a new amp delivered. Just an extra perhaps?

Talos4

And I thought the back of my entertainment Center was cluttered!
[/IMG]

Talos4

Actually Mark,

I think there was a total of four boxes on the floor. Just the one next to the rack.

You can just barely see the other boxes on the floor to the far right of the last photo.

I was at Green Bay east last week, and I think I remember seeing the same boxes in one of the booths, I could be wrong, I've been to quite a few Marcus facilities lately so they're all kind of running together.  

I was at the Majestic on Tuesday but I had too much work to do so, not much time to admire the gear.  Though I really wanted to. :D

SRW1000

It's been over a year, and my wife and I finally made use of our complementary replacement tickets for the iPic.

We went to see the new Star Trek movie over the weekend.  This was shown in theater 5, while we had seen Iron Man in theater 1.  Unfortunately, there were annoying screen flaws in this theater, also.  Unlike the vertical streaks on the first screen, these were semi-circular marks, almost looking like eraser marks on a paper.  During most scenes it wasn't noticeable, but during any bright shots they were distractingly apparent.  And if any of you have seen the new Star Trek movie, you know there are a lot of bright shots.

One thing I noticed is that they mask their movies by lifting the screen up and down.  This might be creating some stress on the screen fabric itself.  Just speculation, but it seems odd to move the expensive screen rather than the masking fabric.

We both love the theater itself:  reserve seating is nice (although we had to kick some general-admission scofflaws out of our seats), the free popcorn for VIP tickets is a good touch, the seats are very comfortable, and the smaller sized theaters help with unruly crowds.

The screens are the fatal flaws, though.  I'm too picky to settle for the distracting presentation.  :(

Scott

klwillis45

Marcus North Shore has implemeted some reserved seating as well & not just at the ultrascreen.

There is an upcharge but you get it back as a concession voucher. It works out nicely if you were planning on picking up some food or drink anyway.