• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

U-Verse starting with 2 HD streams!

Started by gparris, Thursday May 01, 2008, 06:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

picopir8

Quote from: brewtownska;46417Which speed of internet do you have with your Uverse?  I'm curious if upgrading from the base speed robs some of the bandwidth that could be used for TV.
Mike

They have several speeds to choose from.
https://uverse1.att.com/un/LSSelectStateForDMASwitchingAction.do

I have the second highest (6M down, 1M up).  I never noticed any internet slowdown or video dropouts during high internet usage.  All network devices and the uverse boxes all plug into a residential gateway which distributes the bandwidth like any other router.  However I suspect that if there ever were bandwidth issues for whatever reason, it would give priority to the uverse boxes.  However, I can not confirm because I have not noticed any problems when everything is utilized.

BTW, with the 6M service, I average about 5765kb/s downloads at speedtest.net.  Speed is within 10k regarless if watching TV or not.  That puts me just above the average TWC speed of 5723kb/s in Milwaukee.

Tom Snyder

Is the Internet that comes with U-Verse just DSL or is it something else? If it's DSL, do the big cabinets they're installing enable U-Verse in your neighborhood extend the range of DSL if that's all you have?
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

kevbeck122

Video, phone (Uverse voice) and internet are all delivered over VDSL.  You get a very high speed connection (probably over 30 Mbps) most of which is dedicated to video.  The rest is for phone and internet.  Uverse cabinets have a wire range of around 2500 feet or so.. I haven't kept up lately so the range might be higher.  

The regular DSL is ADSL, which uses different cabinets.  Uverse won't have an affect on the range of those.

TPK

Quote from: kevbeck122;46461Video, phone (Uverse voice) and internet are all delivered over VDSL.  You get a very high speed connection (probably over 30 Mbps) most of which is dedicated to video.  The rest is for phone and internet.  Uverse cabinets have a wire range of around 2500 feet or so.. I haven't kept up lately so the range might be higher.  

The regular DSL is ADSL, which uses different cabinets.  Uverse won't have an affect on the range of those.

The tech that was out here a while ago claimed that my raw link speed was something like 60 megabits, although the current service doesnt utilize all of that....

if I look at the broadband link details page on the RG it says that I have 25Mb down and 2Mb up....  I guess that is the bandwitdh that the service uses, and therefore the minimum bandwidth required for all services to function....

I would just love it if they would allow me to utilize the remaining spare bandwidth for my max tier internet, although I guess that would be asking for too much...

kevbeck122

Ah.. I figured with the two HD stream and the 10.5Mb max internet package they would have increased the 25-27Mb cap that they started out at.  Maybe they lowered the bit rate of the channels, which I would hope not because they were already low.

I saw some people on uverseusers who were supposedly getting over 60-70Mbps on speedtests sometime last year.  AT&T must've accidentally lifted the cap on some.

TPK

Quote from: kevbeck122;46482Ah.. I figured with the two HD stream and the 10.5Mb max internet package they would have increased the 25-27Mb cap that they started out at.  Maybe they lowered the bit rate of the channels, which I would hope not because they were already low.

I saw some people on uverseusers who were supposedly getting over 60-70Mbps on speedtests sometime last year.  AT&T must've accidentally lifted the cap on some.

My speed test results:

Not quite the 10Mbit, but not slow enough to file a complaint....  Although if I do file a complaint anyhow, maybe they'll 'lift the cap' on my connection to bring my true speeds up to (or maybe beyond) advertised levels....

To be fair, I do have a bit more complex of a set-up than most.....

Instead of using their RG as my router, I have my own router...  The router is a PC running PF-sense; it has a p4 3Ghz processor, which is really way overkill to be just a dedicated router (so its not that the router is under-powered)..

Anyhow, the router is hooked into the RG and the RG is set up to forward all internet traffic to the router via their 'DMZ Plus' mode...  So since I am taking that extra hop, maybe that is what is causing my speeds to be (a little bit) slower than what most others are reporting....  But I really doubt that....