• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Microsoft Preps 'Milwaukee' IPTV Upgrade

Started by SRW1000, Sunday Apr 06, 2008, 08:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRW1000

OK, this isn't all that exciting, notable for the name mostly.  I ran across it at the AVS forum.

I know that Microsoft has sometimes used geographic names/locations as nicknames for their software before, but it's still kind of odd to have them use Milwaukee.

The full story can be read here, but here's an excerpt:
QuoteMicrosoft Corp.  plans to launch an extension to its Mediaroom IPTV system as early as August this year, and has dubbed the upcoming enhancement "Milwaukee."

Access to the Microsoft Mediaroom Milwaukee Alpha 2 Program Website is still restricted, but, according to Shari Barnett, director of Media Services at Microsoft's TV Division, the software giant plans to make the beta version of the application developers' kit available in May, so that third-party firms can start developing services to run on the software. Barnett expects to see new applications coming to market in 2009.

The key enhancements the Milwaukee update will add to the current version of Microsoft's Mediaroom system are: the ability to pull in existing data feeds, including real-time updates, from Websites to run concurrently on-screen with video streams; and the ability to build sophisticated recommendation and personalization tools.

Scott

Doug Mohr

Interesting. I've always liked Microsoft's codenames.