• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Best Buy pulls HD-DVDs off the shelf

Started by tbarney, Thursday Mar 27, 2008, 10:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbarney

I stopped at Best Buy this afternoon figuring I could score a few HD DVDs at a good discount. No such luck. I was informed that they were pulled off the shelf yesterday.  I guess if I want to get anymore it'll be from amazon or whoever else is offering BOGO.

vegasvic

I wonder why they pull them instead of just selling them out.

tbarney

They would probably have to cut them to buy 1 get 2 in order to sell any more since they were already on clearance for a couple weeks. At that much of a discount they probalby are making less then they would if you just bought a regular DVD.

brewtownska

As people find Best Buy stores getting rid of their HD-DVDs, can you post which store you saw that at?  I've read on AVS that a lot of the stores are shipping their inventory away, but it also sounds like some of the stores haven't done that yet (or maybe don't plan to?).  I might try to price match Circuit City's 50% deal this Sunday at Best Buy, so it would be nice to know WHICH stores have been caught without any inventory so I don't waste my time driving to an empty store.
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

tbarney

The store in Menomonee falls Best Buy pulled all their HD DVDs on Wednesday.

SRW1000

I stopped at the Northridge Best Buy on Tuesday, and the guy said they were pulling everything on Wednesday, also.  I didn't go back to verify, but that would be consistent with the other stories out there.

Scott

Army82ndAB

I shipped every last one of them out Friday morning from Northridge... The company plans on increasing our Blu-Ray mix to fill in the void left by HD-DVD gone in a relatively quick time-frame.

gparris

Shopping at the Best Buy in Gurnee, IL on my way back from Chicago yesterday the clerks all agreed there was no HD DVDs for sale at all left in stock, these were to be allocated "elsewhere".:huh?:

(I found there were a few hiding on the shelves mixed in somehow with the DVDs).

This is a newer store, very similar to the Mayfair location in size and scope and the Blu-ray Disc selection is the very first thing you see when you walk in !:D

SRW1000

Quote from: brewtownska;45377As people find Best Buy stores getting rid of their HD-DVDs, can you post which store you saw that at?  I've read on AVS that a lot of the stores are shipping their inventory away, but it also sounds like some of the stores haven't done that yet (or maybe don't plan to?).  I might try to price match Circuit City's 50% deal this Sunday at Best Buy, so it would be nice to know WHICH stores have been caught without any inventory so I don't waste my time driving to an empty store.
This is too late for price-matching the CC deal, but as of tonight, the Fox Point Best Buy still has HD DVDs.  They're ringing up at full price, and the check out people are still only taking 30% off.  

Not a good deal at all.

Scott