News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

MyNetworkTV 24 side bumpers are distracting

Started by Fr8train, Monday Mar 10, 2008, 02:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fr8train

I noticed sometime around last Friday that MyNetworkTV 24.1 digital OTA now has vertical "bumpers" on the left and right side of the screen filling what would normally be black when the show is 4:3 (almost 100% of the time).  

The bumpers say something like "MyNetworkTV 24 HDTV" along with the station call numbers and they are a bright blue in color.  

I find them incredibly distracting and unnecessary.  What is the reason for having them in this case?

SRW1000

My guess is that it helps them stand out from regular, pillar-boxed SD broadcasts, constantly brands the channel, and could help prevent uneven screen wear (burn-in) for HDTV owners who watch a lot 4x3 material.

My wife absolutely hates them.  I think they're mildly distracting.  Maybe if the graphics didn't move around so fast, it would be less obnoxious.

Scott

kevbeck122

I find them a little annoying also, but I'm sure I could get used to them.  I think it would be better if they were a little less bright and maybe black and white like ESPNHD/ESPN2HD.

techboy

I keep a roll of black masking tape handy near the TV.  I just cut a piece or two of the appropriate size to cover all those annoying things like the endless logo supers for things like pussycat dolls or gladiators.  The promotion departments have gone too far.  It's distracting and cheapens the shows.  Logoaway!!!
Retired Broadcast TV / Radio Engineer WTMJ. ( 35 Yrs )

voodoo032

In addition to being ultra-annoying the bumpers screw up my commercial skipping software on my HTPC.

cjucoder

I find them horribly obnoxious, to the point I won't watch that channel.  My eyes keep darting to the side bars during the show and I feel like I'm getting yelled at, like a forum post in all caps.  There still is the bug in the lower right corner so it's not like we don't know what channel we are watching.  Perhaps I could "get used to it", but, well, I don't want to have to.

mhz40

Nothing is worse than TNT running all those obnoxious moving graphics & videos promoting some other series OVERLAID THE CURRENT PROGAMS VIDEO ON THE LOWER HALF OF THE SCREEN... AFTER THE 6 MINUTE BREAK FOR COMMERCIALS & PROMOS!

Later tonight... catch the premier
episode of the season finale of
Without a Trace.
TNT.  We KNOW Drama!!

Fr8train

Beginning this past weekend now 18.1 The CW has similar green side "bumpers".  

These are added by the local network and not nationally like the "frogs" in the lower corner of the screen.

When I got my HDTV I was a little nervous because the bezel trim was silver and I thought that might be a bit more distracting than if it was black but with these obnoxious added bumpers bookending the screen the bezel color is the least of my problems.

If these bumpers still annoy me after another week I'm done watching these channels.  It is like they are purposely trying to make their channels unwatchable.

greenskingIV

For these irritating side bumpers I just change my aspect ratio it stretches the picture a little but that's better than looking at garbage to my left and right.

Martyus

+1 to the list of "side bumper" haters.

I find them so distracting that it is almost impossible to actually watch the show. I now find myself looking for alternate TV shows to watch.

LoadStar

Yeah, not a fan here either.

Seems to me like this is one of those things that sound like they might be neat to try out, but in the end they serve very little purpose and are more annoying than anything else.

AA9VI

Quote from: cjucoder;45129I find them horribly obnoxious, to the point I won't watch that channel.  My eyes keep darting to the side bars during the show and I feel like I'm getting yelled at, like a forum post in all caps.  There still is the bug in the lower right corner so it's not like we don't know what channel we are watching.  Perhaps I could "get used to it", but, well, I don't want to have to.

Agreed.  The ones on 18-1 are equally obnoxious. Just stretch the picture if you don't have an HD feed for the program available.

js6751

Quote from: AA9VI;46266Agreed.  The ones on 18-1 are equally obnoxious. Just stretch the picture if you don't have an HD feed for the program available.

NO! I can't stand  S T R E T C H - O - V I S I O N! If you want it stretched, just do so manually!

troyriley

I haven't really found them distracting when watching programs on either 24 or 18. The thing I am annoyed with is that the side bumpers state "HD" and imply to viewers that the 4x3 program they're watching is in HD. If the program was actually in HD, I wouldn't be looking at the side bumpers in the first place.