• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

General TWC Question

Started by Dan the Man, Monday Mar 03, 2008, 10:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan the Man

I dropped my TWC TV service back at the beginning of November for DTV. I kept my Road Runner service. I went to hook up a TV to the cable feed expecting to be able to get all the analog channels from this feed since I still have Road Runner service. Instead I only get channel 3 (TBS), channel 4 (WTMJ) and then channels 68, 69 and 70 (something like that).

Does TWC block the analog channels when you drop your service? It seems to me there must be some type of filtering going on since I get a few channels on each end of the spectrum and nothing in between.

No big deal it was just weird and I am curious if anyone knows the answer to this.

Thanks!

kevbeck122

I believe they put a filter on your line right at the junction box.  As you noticed, it doesn't filter everything.  They use the same type of thing when you only subscribe to basic cable (channels 2-25).

Snard

Does anyone know if they also filter the digital channels? I have a friend who also has only Roadrunner, and he was wondering if he got a QAM-compatible TV if he'd be able to pick up the unencrypted locals.
- Mike Shawaluk

Samsung UN46D6000
Philips 40PFL4706/F7B

Now with Windows Media Center and HDHomeRun Prime!

HDefinicktion

I pay only for RR, but get all the analog channels and the digital QAM channels that are available.  I never use it as I pay for DTV.  I have never had any issues getting the unencrypted channels.

Cheesehead Dave

I get all the analog channels as well. The only thing I use it for is to get the public access channel that announces the school closings for snow.

LowSignal

From what a tech told me, you should only get 3 or four channels if you only subscribe to roadrunner, they put a little metal cylinder at the pole that blocks the TV channels but it cant block them all and that's why get some. They have a few different "traps" yellow for RR only, Blue/Red for Basic only and if you want you can get a custom trap from them if you don't want the kids watching BET or something. Sometimes you get lucky or if your really nice the cable tech will forget to install a  trap.

Bebop

Sometimes they will forget to put on the filter. I had most of the unencrypted channels until the finally put the filter on few months later.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Nels Harvey

When I first went to RoadRunner, I too received the analog channels.  Since I have *E*, I only used it to watch the local Mequon channel.  A few years ago the channels disappeared.  A while later, I lost my RR feed, and called TW out.  They found a lightning hit, and replaced the yellow filter which was bad.  The Tech said he would be fired if he didn't replace the filter!

For those of you who still receive the analog channels, enjoy them while you can.  I think sooner, or later, they might be gone too, like mine were.

Nels....
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.