News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Digital Ch 18 to RF 18 tuner confusion

Started by beeper, Friday Jun 12, 2009, 05:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beeper

Never had any trouble with digital channel 18. Until today.

As of June 12 I lost digital channel 18 (RF 61) on all of my digital tuners.
I notice it was supposed to switch to RF 18.

I rescanned and my Zenith/LG tuner found it on RF channel 18.
Then the next time I powered it on it was gone again. (No signal)

On my Toshiba HDTV trying to manually add RF 18 showed the same signal as RF 17 Telemundo.
I did a complete rescan and then it found RF 18.

My Dish CECB found it again on RF 61, but labeled it channel 70-1.
It won't find it manually or with a complete rescan on RF 18.

Anyone else have similar problems?

I did find a new channel 4-3.

AndrewP

Try hard reboot: power off, wait, power on, rescan.

Jimboy

The Dish CECB has a fluke........ Since a 18-1 is already established with channel 61 it doesn't know what to do with a digital signal on channel 18 that's also mapped to 18-1 so it labels it as 70-1.

The Fix
Do a factory reset (in the setup menu) and re-setup the box as if it were new.

Also had an older DigitalStream box show 2 18-1's after the scan. One worked (rf18) and the other didn't (rf61- obviously). A factory reset didn't clear it either, just went into the channel edit mode and deleted it that way.

John L

Quote from: Jimboy;52274Also had an older DigitalStream box show 2 18-1's after the scan. One worked (rf18) and the other didn't (rf61- obviously). A factory reset didn't clear it either, just went into the channel edit mode and deleted it that way.

LOL!  I had the samething, 2 18-1s before I re-scan.

So me wonders under tropospheric conditions I sometimes can get South Bend DTs here. What if Lafayette, Indiana pops in here, they too will list as 18-1.  So it probably could happen getting 2 different 18-1s.

-John L.

beeper

Quote from: Jimboy;52274The Dish CECB has a fluke........ Since a 18-1 is already established with channel 61 it doesn't know what to do with a digital signal on channel 18 that's also mapped to 18-1 so it labels it as 70-1.

The Fix
Do a factory reset (in the setup menu) and re-setup the box as if it were new.

Also had an older DigitalStream box show 2 18-1's after the scan. One worked (rf18) and the other didn't (rf61- obviously). A factory reset didn't clear it either, just went into the channel edit mode and deleted it that way.

The factory reset is the next thing that I tried right away. That did the trick.
That was a DTV Pal Plus CECB. (Microtune tuner)

I also have a similar DISH TR-40 (Thompson tuner) and I simply deleted the existing Ch 18 (RF61) and added the RF 18 with add a (single) channel and it mapped it correctly.

My Zenith DTT901 also ended up with two virtual channel 18s on the channel list.
I deleted the old one.

wysiwyg

My DTV Pal has labeled the "new" 18-1 as 72-1 and won't correct it if I delete the old 18-1. Oddly, it still puts 72-1 between 12-1 and 24-1 in the channel lineup. And now last night I turned it on to find 13 new services, including 41-2 through 41-7 and 63-2 through 63-7. I don't know what the point of that is, but between all of the Weigel stations in this market they must be closing in on 25 subchannels assigned currently.

Jimboy

Quote from: wysiwyg;52350My DTV Pal has labeled the "new" 18-1 as 72-1 and won't correct it if I delete the old 18-1. Oddly, it still puts 72-1 between 12-1 and 24-1 in the channel lineup. And now last night I turned it on to find 13 new services, including 41-2 through 41-7 and 63-2 through 63-7. I don't know what the point of that is, but between all of the Weigel stations in this market they must be closing in on 25 subchannels assigned currently.

Run through the factory reset on the DTVPAL! To fix the 72-1 assignment.

TPK

I have the same problem with windows media center...

Even after re-setting up the TV channels, and then screwing around with the atscchannels.xml file, I still cannot get channel 18-1 (1181) to come in with windows media center...

Channel 24 (1241) does work...

I am not sure how exactly channel 18 is set up..  I understand that on June 12 it moved its physical channel from 61 to 18?  am I right about that??

So I changed my atscchannels.xml file from this:
[channel callsign="WVTVDT" version="0" physical="61" major="18" /]

to this:
[channel callsign="WVTVDT" version="0" physical="18" major="18" /]

And rebooted, but still no signal on 1181..

Am I missing something??

Jimboy

Posted this earlier...

http://www.milwaukeehdtv.org/forums/showpost.php?p=52416&postcount=3

And yes, the physical channel of digital 18 moved from 61 to 18 last Friday at 9am.

TPK

Quote from: Jimboy;52419Posted this earlier...

http://www.milwaukeehdtv.org/forums/showpost.php?p=52416&postcount=3

And yes, the physical channel of digital 18 moved from 61 to 18 last Friday at 9am.

Got it...

As indicated, this time I removed the entry in the atscchannels.xml file rather than modifying it, and then I added the 18-1 channel in via the media center interface and it worked..

I think the problem is that microsoft doesn't know that WVTV changed physical channels, and therefore is pushing out that file upon setting up the channels (still)...

Additionally, antennaweb.org also doesnt know about the channel move either (its still reporting it as channel 61)...  I would guess this is where everyone (including Microsoft) looks to know what chanel is what in which city...  Perhaps someone should inform antennaweb.org of the change...