• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Toshiba to exit HD DVD, end format war-NHK

Started by SRW1000, Saturday Feb 16, 2008, 12:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebop

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Gamera

Quote from: Bebop;44643Now, you know why HD DVD player wasn't built into the Xbox.

Imagine if they had though.  If Sony's strategy was to duplicate the success with their PS2 getting DVD players into everyone's homes, why didn't Microsoft include an HD DVD player with the XBox 360?  They very well could have changed the outcome since the 360 got a one-year head start.

Come to think of it, was HD DVD even available when the 360 launched?

Steve Mann

Quote from: Dan the Man;44663is referenced in an article right here: http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/19/technology/toshiba.ap/index.htm?postversion=2008021904.

The war is over. Good thing, my son just bought me a Blu-ray player on Saturday as a combined Christmas/Birthday/Fathers Day present. I like it!

Congrats. But, he should have waited until October to purchase and given it to you as a belated gift. Because, unless we're talking about a PS3, the BR standard won't even be close to finalized until then and current players won't be upgradeable. This will most likely make many new movies incompatible with older players and introduce a host of related problems. BR profile 2.0, due out in October, will finally bring BR up to where HD-DVD was and hopefully will stabilize the format to where it's safe to buy.
Steve M. Mann
Panasonic AX200U Projector
Carada 126" 16:9 Fixed Screen
1 - HR20-100 DirecTV HD PVR
1 - HR24-500 DirecTV HD PVR
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

klwillis45

360 launch date: 11/22/05

HD-DVD launch date: 3/31/06

Didn't happen and probably wasn't even a real option since your talkin about 2 seperate companies.

Sony had alot more incentive to wait it out. However, Bluray victory will probably cost them the console war for this generation. That is, unless the PS3 continues to be one of the cheapest Bluray player options for quite some time.
Of course if thats the case, it means that BR players are probably still too expensive for many folks.

jimbop99

Well, I'm glad someone finally "won". I got a little lucky. I just purchased a HD DVD player two weeks ago and hadn't sent in the rebate for the free movies yet, so today it went back. Now it will probably be two years before you see a blu-ray player anywhere near a hundred bucks.

flash

I wonder what the price of the obsolete HD DVD's will cost?????

gparris

Personally, I don't regret getting HD DVD at all.

I just won't replace my HD DVDs with BDs anytime soon since I have a backup HD DVD player around that plays the HD DVDs just fine.

Who will care (or even know) if the disc is BD or HD DVD when its playing as long as the disc was authoured good for best HD picture and HD sound while enjoying it?
- I just won't be able in the future to lend them the movie if they have a BD player if that is the movie they want to watch if it is one of my HD DVD discs.
The only time I will replace the discs is if the HD DVD disc gets scratched or broken.;)