• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

View Streaming Video on TV

Started by kermtfrg, Thursday Jan 24, 2008, 02:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kermtfrg

I've been searching all over for the right device for this but can't seem to find anything to do what I want.  What I would like is a device that is connected to my TV and will allow me to view the internet - specifically sites that stream video like Hulu and Fancast.  Slingbox has the SlingCatcher coming out but who knows when it will be available.

Is there something else available now that will let me do this?  I'd rather not build a PC cause I don't think I could justify the cost to my wife.

Thanks,

Jon

Cheesehead Dave

How about a used Mac Mini? It has a small form factor, can hook right up to your TV, and can view pretty much any video streaming site (as well as just browsing the web on your TV) Plus you can watch videos that you've downloaded.

I'd like to say the PS3 would be good, but so far it doesn't seem to work with much more than YouTube. I tried to watch something off CBS' site recently, and I got errors about missing plugins.

kermtfrg

Thanks for the Mac mini suggestion. Never knew those existed and would do what I want I think but they are $600, probably a little overkill for what I am looking to do.

steve053

I think that the DirecTv HR20 and HR21 have the ability to view some streaming video when networked w/ TVersity running on a pc.  Last night I just received the national update which should have enabled video sharing on my HR20-100 so I don't have any first hand experience with it.  I can say that the HR20 does a decent job of picture and audo sharing.

kermtfrg

As much as I'd like to drop Time Warner for DirecTV, I can't.

picopir8

Ge an old Xbox 1 and hack it to get media center and a web browser.

If you do not want to hack anything, get a Wii or PS3 for the web browser.

Cheesehead Dave

Quote from: kermtfrg;44057Thanks for the Mac mini suggestion. Never knew those existed and would do what I want I think but they are $600, probably a little overkill for what I am looking to do.

If you can find a used one on ebay, even the slowest.oldest of Minis should be fast enough for video streaming.

kermtfrg

Quick update:  I have a Wii and didn't realize it could do the internet.  YouTube works great on there but that was the only video site that worked.:(

I did find this:  http://sagetv.com/extender.html

Gonna do a little more research but it might do what I want.

picopir8

I personally have not tried this but Orb supposedly works great for streaming audio/video to the Wii.

Video showing it in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPt6bfVtWGc

Directions:
http://forums.techguy.org/games/540505-streaming-video-wii.html

kevbeck122

I think your only option is a computer, whether it be a small PC or a Mac Mini.  There just isn't much support for web plugins on the game consoles.  Plus they usually have an old version of flash, which most video sites are using nowadays.

kermtfrg

I just learned that tonight...I was all set to buy a PS3 (my wife was actually trying to talk me into it) but after some research saw that it only supported flash 6.

For now, I'm going to use my TV as a monitor and plug the laptop into it directly and use a wireless keyboard and mouse.  Not the most convenient solution but it will do what I want.

Thanks for everybody's help.