• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC - Business class / RR

Started by smack, Tuesday Jan 29, 2008, 10:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smack

Anyone have any info on what your companies are paying for RR business class.  I rec'd a quote yesterday from TWC and it seams pretty high for basic service.  (5m dl x 384k up) is $109.95 a month on the ala carte.  The bizpak was $159 for 7m x 384 with some a few added features such as email and hosting etc...

They will not let me get residential service in the office otherwise I could do that for 1/2 the price.??? what is home svc 5 x 1?

I was also offered a home office solution for $59 / month with 15 dl / 2 ul which I might jump on.  Does that sound like a good deal, and will I notice a speed difference with a wireless G hookup or will only hardwired connection make a difference in speed?  

If I get business class, are employees allowed to sign up at a reduced price as well?

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?  What are you doing now for a small business and how much is the cost?
Thanks,

smack

gparris

My family's business pays for support and 1 static IP (dedicated), receives hosting and 15Mbps down and 2Mbps up for $84.99.
The location also has Digital Phone and cableTV service, so there could be a discount involved somewhere, too.:D

flash

Smack, most wireless routers are 802.11g which has theoretical speeds of 54 megs download.
What this means is...... your wireless won't be slowing you down unless your at the further reaches of the range of your wireless device.
If you have lots of walls or floors between your wireless router and computer you will see certain amounts of slowdowns.
 I can get from my basement (where my wireless router resides) to my second floor bedroom and still get speeds of 24+ megs a second.
I am now sitting in my living room (on the main floor of my house) about 50 feet from my router and I am getting 54 MB's which is faster than my 5 meg download speeds.
imho...... you shouldn't have any speed problems wireless.

kevbeck122

Just because it says 54 doesn't really mean you're getting it.  I usually get ~5Mbps on any speed test I try in most rooms of the house... sometimes even less (still says 54 in the network properties).  The only time I get the full bandwidth from RR is when I'm close to the router.

TPK

Quote from: kevbeck122;44160Just because it says 54 doesn't really mean you're getting it.  I usually get ~5Mbps on any speed test I try in most rooms of the house... sometimes even less (still says 54 in the network properties).  The only time I get the full bandwidth from RR is when I'm close to the router.

These speed tests your doing, these are internet speed tests?

It sounds like your using internet speed tests to say that your not getting 54Mbps out of your wireless connection, which is not a proper comparison to make...

The wireless connection is (at best) 54Mbps... Meanwhile your internet connection is (at best) 5Mbps...   The real bottleneck is (usually) the internet connection, not the wireless connection, unless you are so far away from your wireless access point that your wireless connection dips below 5Mbps, in which case your wireless is now the bottleneck...

Generally speaking, the 802.11g wireless connection is much faster (about 10 times faster) than the internet connection, but that doesnt help much when it comes to downloading files (or doing speed tests) over the internet, since those downloads are going to go at the (slower) internet speeds, since the faster wireless speeds do not make your internet any faster than it is...

To truly gage the speed of your wireless connection, try copying a file from another one of your computers on the local network to the wireless computer...  It will probably be much faster to do that than it would be to download the same size file over the internet....

kevbeck122

I should have mentioned.. doing the same test on a wired connection, I get ~7.3Mbps.  I've got a 7down/1up RR biz class connection.  I've read that the max bandwidth with 802.11g is really only around 30-35 Mbps tops with a strong signal.  Who knows.. maybe my router is in a bad place in the house.

smack

Thanks everyone, that is the info I was looking for.  So... if I go to the 15/2 home biz from RR for $59/month I would not have a bottleneck at the router.(more than likely as I am pretty close to it)

Still looking for some responses to the Biz class though for my office (not at home) where I am unable to get the 15/2 (for a reasonable price) and must stick to the traditional RR Biz class offerings.

What are the businesses paying for Biz class and what speeds are you getting?  

smack