• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Wii search

Started by flash, Sunday Jan 27, 2008, 07:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flash

Anyone have any thoughts on how to procure a Wii in the Milwaukee metro area?

kevbeck122

Just keep looking/calling around.  Unless they're advertised, there's no other way to know.  Every once and a while I see a few pop up at the Pewaukee Walmart.

flash

We returned his Guitar Hero 3 (Xbox 360 version) for the Wii version but now he can't play it till we find a Wii.
The 360 is incorporated into the AV system but the Wii will be much easier to connect to other TV's around the house and then I get to watch my HD TV and it won't be monopolized by Guitar Hero 3.;)
I'll keep looking and find one soon........hopefully.:bang:

Bluto

Keep an eye on this site - http://dealnews.com/

Whenever an online store has Wiis in stock, they seem to know about it.  FYI, the Wiis on here are usually bundled with games and go way over the list price for the basic game system.

Currently mentioned are a couple of bundles from GameStop.com
http://dealnews.com/Game-Stops-Nintendo-Wii-Game-Console-Bundles-for-475/210388.html

mrmike

You could always sign up at wiialerts.com.
I've gotten three for friends and family that way (all through Amazon).
I recommend the SMS alerts, E-mail tends to be too laggy.

-MM

picopir8

Most stores hold their stock until Sundays because they have to have a minimum number of them if they are in the advertisements.  Sites like spoofee.com get the advertisements a day or so early. When I got my wii last Feb, and my sisters Wii in Aug, I would check the ads before going to sleep to see what stores were getting any.  I then set the alarm for about 5AM, grab the paper and verify that the local advertisement listed them.  Then I got dressed and went and waited in line.  Both times I was successful on my first try.  The demand is high but if you are willing to wake up early and stand in line for an hour or two then you should be able to score one pretty easily.

Target, BB, and CC normally have a minimum number per store so they are the best bet.  Target opens earlier than the others so you can always go there first then go to one of the others if there is a long line.

LowSignal

Are you aware the Wii GHIII is in mono only? You have to get a replacement disc via mail for a stereo version. Weird.

flash

Quote from: LowSignal;44117Are you aware the Wii GHIII is in mono only? You have to get a replacement disc via mail for a stereo version. Weird.

That is weird. I'll check it out 'cause my wife found one today at Wally World.
My son and I have to build his Pinewood Derby car for the race this Saturday but Wii will be having some fun this weekend. :rock:

flash

I gotta share this story 'cause I almost lost it.......
So I hook up the Wii tonight for a little while so my son could play some GH3.
(We finished the pine wood derby car tonight)
So he starts playing GH3 and he's getting into it.......
my wife says.....
MY WIFE says......" Man, do the graphics suck!"
I about $h!t my pants!
I proceeded to explain that the Wii is NOT an Xbox 360.
The woman that NEVER plays video games starts dissing the Wii right out of the box.
Whodathunk!

sarusk

smack

Quote from: picopir8;44116Most stores hold their stock until Sundays because they have to have a minimum number of them if they are in the advertisements.  Sites like spoofee.com get the advertisements a day or so early. When I got my wii last Feb, and my sisters Wii in Aug, I would check the ads before going to sleep to see what stores were getting any.  I then set the alarm for about 5AM, grab the paper and verify that the local advertisement listed them.  Then I got dressed and went and waited in line.  Both times I was successful on my first try.  The demand is high but if you are willing to wake up early and stand in line for an hour or two then you should be able to score one pretty easily.

Target, BB, and CC normally have a minimum number per store so they are the best bet.  Target opens earlier than the others so you can always go there first then go to one of the others if there is a long line.

No need to check the web, the JS is not printed on Sunday AM.  There are early sunday editions available everywhere on saturday night with the same sunday ads in them.

Also sign up for Wiialerts.com that is how I bought 5 of them this past holiday season (all on amazon).  You will get emails once or twice a week and if you are within about 10-15 minutes of your cpu you should be able to order one.

gb4fan92

Quote from: smack;44220No need to check the web, the JS is not printed on Sunday AM.  There are early sunday editions available everywhere on saturday night with the same sunday ads in them.

Also sign up for Wiialerts.com that is how I bought 5 of them this past holiday season (all on amazon).  You will get emails once or twice a week and if you are within about 10-15 minutes of your cpu you should be able to order one.

Well I signed up cuz my daughters birthday is in April and this is what she wants. We  will see if this helps me get the elusive WI!

chure

Quote from: flash;44207MY WIFE says......" Man, do the graphics suck!"
I about $h!t my pants!
I proceeded to explain that the Wii is NOT an Xbox 360.
The woman that NEVER plays video games starts dissing the Wii right out of the box.
Whodathunk!

I've played the Wii sports and graphics are less then stellar, but are the graphics on a game like Madden or Tiger Woods that much worse on the Wii then other game systems?

Also, I can't seem to get the Cell Alert on wiialerts.com to work, anyone else have issues?

klwillis45

Quote from: chure;44388I've played the Wii sports and graphics are less then stellar, but are the graphics on a game like Madden or Tiger Woods that much worse on the Wii then other game systems?

Yes, especially if your playing on a HDTV. But PS3 and 360 versions don't offer the unique controls you get with a Wii.

picopir8

The wii definately does not have the graphics capabilities of the other consoles but I swear Metroid looked better on the Wii than Halo 3 did on the 360. Nintendo games seem a have a more polished style that helps offset the deficiencies in graphical horsepower.  The best looking wii game will not look as good as the best game on other consoles but it will not look dated or "bad" due to the styling in most games. Its sort of like comparing Parcheesi to the game "Life".  The Parcheesi board is less interesting to look at than the Life board but it does not detract from the game.  
What console you get really depends on how you want to use it. The Wii is a console for people who want to play with friends/family in the same room, the 360 is for people who like playing online, I think the PS3 is a good console but it has yet to find its niche other than offering bluray.  If you want good graphics though, a PC is still the best route, however fewer and fewer games are being published for the PC.