• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TiVo HD question

Started by sk1927, Monday Mar 10, 2008, 09:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sk1927

I've been Tivo fan for many years and have TWC.  I am interested in the Tivo HD box (planning to purchase an HDTV @ end of the year).   Is anyone in the MKE area using the TivoHD box (w/cablecard) without using a TWC box?  Or because of TWCs switched digital video, will I also need a TWC box?  I was planning to view HDTV content via TWC.  I've also heard horror stories about cablecard installations (ie. TWCs inability or reluctance to install cable cards).  Any help on this would be most appreciated!

kevbeck122

They aren't reluctant to install cablecard, they just won't go out of their way to support it.  I've used cablecard in one of my TVs for a couple years without any problems.  It was a fairly simple installation; they ran a new cable from the splitter, stuck the card in and activated it over the phone.  It was something I could have easily done, but they don't allow self-installs.  

Users have been reporting that all of the channels that TWC offers are now available if you have cablecard (previously there were 3 or 4 HD channels and 10-15 SD channels that weren't available.  I can't confirm this because my cablecard TV is sitting dormant at the moment.  TWC is planning the SDV upgrade within the next couple of months.  Tivo will have a USB attachment for the Tivo HD/Series 3 so that you can view SDV channels, so that shouldn't be an issue once that's out.

LoadStar

Quote from: sk1927;45054I've been Tivo fan for many years and have TWC.  I am interested in the Tivo HD box (planning to purchase an HDTV @ end of the year).   Is anyone in the MKE area using the TivoHD box (w/cablecard) without using a TWC box?  Or because of TWCs switched digital video, will I also need a TWC box?  I was planning to view HDTV content via TWC.  I've also heard horror stories about cablecard installations (ie. TWCs inability or reluctance to install cable cards).  Any help on this would be most appreciated!

The TiVo HD and TiVo Series 3 is unlike the old TiVo boxes. As far as I know, it _cannot_ be used in conjunction with a cable box - it's designed to be used standalone with either an antenna or cable card(s). There is no "IR Blaster" like there was on old models to control a cable box. If you do intend to use a cable box, you'll be switching back and forth between the TiVo and the cable box.

Once TWC really starts using SDV, channels transmitted using it will not be available at all to the TiVo S3 and TiVo HD, at least until the supposed SDV box comes out later this year.

sk1927

QuoteOnce TWC really starts using SDV, channels transmitted using it will not be available at all to the TiVo S3 and TiVo HD, at least until the supposed SDV box comes out later this year.
Am I to understand that TiVo will have a SDV box that is different from the S3 or HD boxes, or just newer versions of S3 or HD boxes that will work with SDV?  When will TWC really start to use SDV?  Sounds like TiVo users (on TWC) should wait awhile before buying the S3 or HD boxes?

kevbeck122

Tivo HD/Series 3 will have a USB add on... it's not a completely different box, it just allows you to watch/record SDV channels on a Tivo HD/Series 3.  It's being tested right now: http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6530272.html?nid=4262

sk1927

interesting.....after reading the article at  http://www.multichannel.com/article/....html?nid=4262, it sounds like major cable providers, such as TWC, would offer an 'SDV resolver' box to TiVo subscribers (using the S3 or HD boxes), for a monthly fee of course!  So you would have an SDV box (from TWC) connected to a TiVo S3 or HD box (with 1 or more cable cards)......is this correct?

kevbeck122

Yeah.. I'm sure they'd find a way to charge you an extra monthly fee for it.