• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Sony to stop making SXRDs & 3LCD RPTVs

Started by gparris, Wednesday Dec 19, 2007, 09:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RLJSlick

OMG Sony is nuts, I didn't hear that before. Never thought Sony knew what the hell they were doing. LOL
I guess I'll go watch my Blue-Ray now.  ROFL :D
Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System

gparris

As far as Sony goes, even if BD goes the way of a niche product (I don't think it will) like SACD, MiniDisc, Walkman, SDDS and Betamax, the PS3 as a gaming product is great, but the games have to come faster and on time.
Blu-ray is supported by Samsung, Sharp, Panasonic, among others, so Sony can keep it or dump it like RPTVs and the rest of their "dumping".
I believe that Sony will push it every bit, but disc prices have to come down as much as the players have: The Samsung 1400 dropped to under $299 already.
Folks I helped out with  PS3 installs had HDTVs, hooked them up with inexpensive HDMI or PS3 component video cabling, but balked the cost of the BDs outside of buying the games and a few purchases and mail-in rebates.

Sony has got to find a focus and stay with it, period. It has some good and (had) some great products and whether it gets its focus is up to them.
The consumer will not remain loyal unless there is this focus, however.

klwillis45

gparris

Thanks for the article, looks like the main players in the RPTV sales will be primarily Mitsubishi and Samsung as Panasonic is mostly pushing Plasma and some LCD panels; JVC is harder to find and RCA and Phillips are almost non-existant from what I can find in stores and so on.
So if you want to get a HDTV set that is larger than 52" for LCD or 58" for Plasma (outside of a 60" Visio720p plasma):
You have look to fewer manufacturers now, to get a RPTV set for a "reasonable" price, if you want to go the larger sizes after 52-58".

So, from what I can find, the only "out-there" manufacturers for these are the following:

-Panasonic 61" LCD RPTVs (advertised with a longer-life light bulb and LCD optical block)
-Samsung 61" LED DLPs (no colour wheels or lamps); 72" DLP with what Mitsubishi has (below)
-Mitsubishi DLP 65" and 73" sets with the 6-segment colour wheels (and rainbows some can see).

It's getting to be a nice "competitive marketplace" for larger HDTV sets, isn't it?:confused:

Jimboy

gparris

Congradulations, Jimboy!
Read about any tweaks in avsforums for the A3000 series SXRDs, just in case you want more "WOW" in your picture.
Notice there are no blurry motion artifacts like the line of LCD panel sets Sony is trying to push on consumers and the blacks/contrast images are magnificent and colours, mind-blowing.
Sad to see the SXRD go away, but at least you got one of the best, in a 60"!
(Now try adding a high def player and see more of it);)

tbest1797

Quote from: Jimboy;43403Received the KDS-60A300 today.

WOW!:eek:

Got mine today too.  I need to get a new stand fast.  Anybody got any recommendations?  I can't wait to check out my new PS3 on this as well.  What would be a decent asking price for a 60VS810 these days?

Tom

flash

Quote from: tbest1797;43412Got mine today too.  I need to get a new stand fast.  Anybody got any recommendations?  I can't wait to check out my new PS3 on this as well.  What would be a decent asking price for a 60VS810 these days?

Tom

Congrats to those of you who bought one of the best TV's out there before Sony tucks tail and stops making a great product! :cool:

gparris

Quote from: tbest1797;43412Got mine today too.  I need to get a new stand fast.  Anybody got any recommendations?  I can't wait to check out my new PS3 on this as well.  What would be a decent asking price for a 60VS810 these days?

Tom

Congradulations, had my SXRD 60" for almost two years now.
A new stand will have to be completely bearing the weight of the set and do not allow it to hang over on any of the sides.
My PS3 with HDMI works best on the SXRD for picture and audio works best using an external source with the right AV Receiver and speaker setups.

As for the asking price of the Hitachi 60VS810, try the low teens unless it comes with a stand or ext. warranty or google it/ebay price check it.