• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

NBC and CBS to air Sat. Pats game

Started by Dan the Man, Wednesday Dec 26, 2007, 10:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan the Man

Hot off the press, the NFL network has reached an agreement to air the Saturday night Patriots/Giants game on 2 major networks.:OnAir:

Read the full story here: http://money.cnn.com/2007/12/26/news/companies/nfl.ap/index.htm?cnn=yes

Or here for more information: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/12/26/bc.fbn.patriots.giants.tv.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

Thank you NFL network (on behalf of all those who do not get the NFL network and live outside the DMA for these 2 teams).:D

brewguru

I think that is a poor business decision by the NFL.

They lose all their leverage with big cable.

Terrible move.

Mikey

Quote from: brewguru;43388I think that is a poor business decision by the NFL.

They lose all their leverage with big cable.

Terrible move.

Yes, but it is a GREAT decision for NFL fans everywhere...plus I would imagine ad rates would jump dramatically for this game now...so they aren't doing this at a complete detriment to their bottom line.

;)

RLJSlick

I totally agree, think about the money that can be made if EVERYONE can see this possible historical game.  Plus I've seen the NFL Network a few times now, and other then a few games, I'm not that impress, so they need to do something to bring business their way. I think it's a win/win for all. Good job.
Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System

e-man

Quote from: Mikey;43391Yes, but it is a GREAT decision for NFL fans everywhere...plus I would imagine ad rates would jump dramatically for this game now...so they aren't doing this at a complete detriment to their bottom line.

;)

And, I'm guessing, we'll see LOTS of advertisements for the NFL network.  This can be their chance to drive their message to a lot of people who wouldn't otherwise be watching.

bubbaridesfast

From the AP story that I read, they are doing this because 2 US Senators wrote Goodell a letter threatening to review the NFL's anti-trust immunity. Pretty powerful motivator.

OlsonNet

Quote from: e-man;43395And, I'm guessing, we'll see LOTS of advertisements for the NFL network.  This can be their chance to drive their message to a lot of people who wouldn't otherwise be watching.

The only problem is after this game, there is no real reason for most fans to want the NFL Network again until late next fall when the next games happen. So even if they are impressed with the network, they won't be calling or writing letters or switching to satellite as there is no real reason to.

Tom Snyder

And EVERYONE will be able to see how truly bad Bryant Gumbel is!
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Dan the Man

Is that the NFL:

#1 - Had no choice since the government is getting in their face int othe mess and who wants to shell out money to defend even a bogus anti-trust case.

#2 - The public will start looking at the NFL like a cold hearted business (which they might be) but the last thing the NFL needs is something like the baseball steroids mess or the NBA's crooked offical scandal.

They will come out smelling a little more rosy AND still make money at this. I have got to think that CBS and NBC are paying them a good chunk of change to broadcast the game, and why not; look at the shows the game is replacing. Who was going to watch those anyways? They are likely all reruns on top of it.

tencom

I believe the politicians are starting to show there distaste for the NFL's greed.
3.2 billion dollar  NFL's TV contract with NBC, ESPN, CBS, and FOX and the NFL wants more  by giving us for a network,  that mostly offers repeats  and talk shows  and throws in a few NFL games as a bonus. I just hope NBC and CBS and ESPN and FOX starts seeing the light and stop paying so much for the broadcast rights for the NFL after all the television ratings for the NFL are dpwn this year and hopefully they will go down even further and the broadcast networks lose a lot of money on NFL football. This won't happen with the NFL network and ESPN
because all they have to do is to jack up the price for these channels that they charge subscribers to  make up there losses unlike the OTA broadcasters that can't charge the advertisers more because the ratings won't permit it.

StarvingForHDTV

Quote from: Tom Snyder;43401And EVERYONE will be able to see how truly bad Bryant Gumbel is!

I wouldn't believe it, if I didn't hear him myself.  His commentary will be terrible!

LuckySe7ens

Well, this makes it official....   besides the Packers, I don't think it has ever been possible to see this many games for a particular team (the Patriots) free and over the air in any given regular season.

I am kinda mad that during the regular reason they gave such preference to the Patriots, until they started nearly losing a few games -- blowouts are not fun to watch if you're not a fan of the team doing the blowout.  I'd rather watch a close game between two losing teams than watch the Patriots go 52-7 over Washington.

brewguru

Quote from: tencom;43411I believe the politicians are starting to show there distaste for the NFL's greed.
3.2 billion dollar  NFL's TV contract with NBC, ESPN, CBS, and FOX and the NFL wants more  by giving us for a network,  that mostly offers repeats  and talk shows  and throws in a few NFL games as a bonus. I just hope NBC and CBS and ESPN and FOX starts seeing the light and stop paying so much for the broadcast rights for the NFL after all the television ratings for the NFL are dpwn this year and hopefully they will go down even further and the broadcast networks lose a lot of money on NFL football. This won't happen with the NFL network and ESPN
because all they have to do is to jack up the price for these channels that they charge subscribers to  make up there losses unlike the OTA broadcasters that can't charge the advertisers more because the ratings won't permit it.

Are you of this planet? What business DOESN'T show "greed"? The very essence of being in business is to make money. You actually think rights fees are going to go down? I bet in the next contract, ABC wants to get back in the game so that will drive prices even higher!! And as for the ratings being down, three Patriots games (vs. Colts, Cowboys and Giants) were among the highest rated tv shows in the past couple of years!!

Finally, the tv networks are MAKING money on the NFL, otherwise they wouldn't pay these deals. All you need is one Super Bowl and you'll make your money back in advertising revenue. And even ESPN, which won't have a Super Bowl, makes money on the NFL.

Talos4

Quote from: tencom;43411I believe the politicians are starting to show there distaste for the NFL's greed.

Do we "need" the politicians to show their distaste for:

Boeing,
General Millls,
Ford,
GE,
Marcus Corp,
Paramount,
Directv
Dish Network,
Oshkosh Truck,
Google,
Intel,
John Deere
and on and on and on??????

The Government should stay out of this and let business's conduct their negotiations they way they see fit. Supply and demand and the free market usually end up resolving these types of disputes in the long run.  

A couple of Blowhard, hard up for press clippings senators with delusions of grandeur should mind their own multi-million dollar personal business interests and stay out of everyone else's.

After all how many middle class US senators do we have in Washington? :confused:

Tom Snyder

"delusions of grandeur" is a stretch.

Delusions of adequacy, delusions of competence, delusions of having even a basic grasp of how the world actually works are all more accurate. :OnAir:
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org