• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Gov. Jim Doyle signs the "cable competition bill"

Started by Tom Snyder, Friday Dec 21, 2007, 02:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Snyder

Wisconsin Gov. Jim Doyle today signed the "cable competition bill," which opens the door for AT&T Inc. and other entities to bypass having to negotiate contracts with local communities when they seek to provide video content that will compete with cable television.

Instead, the bill grants statewide licenses to video content providers.

Entire article here:

http://www.biztimes.com/daily/2007/12/21/#doyle-signs-cable-competition-bill
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

gparris

This is a good thing for Wisconsin, but it won't mean Kenosha County will get U-Verse any sooner, I would assume.:confused:

Skywalker

Honestly, I don't see how this is going to create competition to "lower prices".  Use cellular phone companies as an example.  I can choose whatever company I want, yet they all offer pretty much the same pricing structure with pretty much the same technology.

Tom Snyder

I had to laugh when they were interviewing him about whether he was going to sign the bill. He said whenever he opens up his cable bill he wishes he had a choice.

Apparently whoever owns the governor's mansion must not allow dishes. :rolleyes:
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

bradsmainsite

As if they don't have one single sat. dish mounted out there for something already.  ;)

picopir8

Quote from: Skywalker;43289Honestly, I don't see how this is going to create competition to "lower prices".  Use cellular phone companies as an example.  I can choose whatever company I want, yet they all offer pretty much the same pricing structure with pretty much the same technology.

I think this is a poor example because in the US, there has always been cellular competition and prices have remained relatively low.  In fact many people have now dropped their land lines because cellular is so cost effective.  Before cellular took off, I recall paying upwards of $50/mo for a land line and long distance (no competition).  For the longest time I paid about the same for a cellular phone but had unlimited off-peak calling.  Now, that the local bells are loosing customers to cellular and VOIP, their prices are finally coming down.  The same should also happen with cable.